We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary

vmw
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary

Hello and Happy Shavuot! I need a little bit if help/suggestions for a family trip I'd like to do sometime in mid June please. There will be 10 of us, 6 adults, 4 kids (age 6-8). A wish list of things to do over a 2 day period would be: Nazareth, Galilee, fruit picking (Bustan HaGolan), chocolate tour (DeKarina), and possible stay around Nahal ElAl Reserve (can't remember the B&B in the area now - info overload!). We will have a car so getting around is not a problem. First of all is this doable and if I had to what can I eliminate? Thanks so much!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary

What do you mean by "Galilee"? Galilee is an entire region in northern Israel. The Arab city of Nazareth is located within the Galilee region.

What do you plan on doing when you get to Nazareth? Be aware that that city suffers from tremendous traffic congestion. It make take longer than you think to get into and out of Nazareth quickly.

Why combine in a single day touring in both Galilee and the Golan Heights? Why not spend one day in the Golan and another day in the Galilee region?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary

Dave's right about Nazareth. It can easily take you a half hour from the highway to the old center and another half hour back.And you have to find parking. If you tell us what in particular draws you to Nazareth, we can make suggestions for alternate sights that are more accessible.

vmw
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary

Things we would like to see in Nazareth are the Church of Annunciation, Mary's Well, and Little Nazareth. We would also like to drive around the Sea of Galilee. We are Christians so would go see those related sites - Capernaum, "Jesus Boat", Mt. of Beatitudes. Like I said, it's over a 2-day period so planned to do exactly what you suggested: Nazareth and Sea of Galilee one day, sleep in one of the kibbutzs up north, like Ein Zivan so we can get started eary on fruit picking in the morning, then explore the Golan area on day 2.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary

Perfect wmw.

On Day #1, start at the Mount of Beatitudes, then continue on to Tabgha and Capernaum. For lunch, you should try the traditional St. Peter's fish and it's done well at the Ktze HaNahal restaurant adjacent to the gas station at Ginosar. After lunch, view the "Jesus Boat" at Ginosar and then head to Nazareth where you will end the day.

Do NOT attempt to visit Nazareth on a Saturday - you'll regret it. But any other day of the week is fine. Not sure what you are referring to by "Little Nazareth" - is it, perhaps, "Nazareth Village," a popular place visited by many evangelical Christians? If you have time (and it's open) you might also find the Synagogue-Church of interest in Nazareth.

Moscow, Russia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary

Dave, why is Saturday a bad day to visit Nazareth?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary

Saturday is the day many Israelis flock Nazareth for shopping and touring. The city gets packed and there is no parking.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary

Two days is not a lot of time for the north and with four young children in tow, seeing the sites and traveling in between is going to take longer than you might think. I would definitely put the Nazareth village on the top of the list for your children, it is popular with Christians showing life at the time of Jesus with plenty of activities for the whole family. http://www.nazarethvillage.com/home.php

I am not sure about the fruit picking activity with your children. They are really young and time is spent on ladders or in the trees. It may be very hot. Instead, what about visiting a farm and having the kids feed the calves and visit the orchards at a place like this: http://www.kurlender.co.il/#!vstc0=english

Israel has many child based activities that would be so much more memorable and meaningful for your children than going from church to archeological site back to church. Endlessly fascinating for adults, but I have seen some really stressed out adults when the kids have decided they are hot and have just had enough. I travel with groups of teens and the more hands on, the more they get out of it AND it is so much fun for adults too.

If you want a copy of my list of family activities in Israel that I have compiled over the past years traveling with my own children and now bringing other people's young teens in small groups, I would be happy to send it to you. Just private message me with your email address. It is too long to put into tripadvisor.

Pinetop-Lakeside...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with itinerary

Shoshi, I must say that you're sort of wrong. I went to Nazereth on a Saturday and once I got inside, the whole town was a parking lot!! Hehehe. Took me a half hour to get back out. Four cars wide trying to fit into two lane road. And then the busses.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with itinerary

Absolutely avoid Nazareth on Saturdays. The city tends to be chaotic even on a weekday, but on Saturdays (a shopping day in the Arab sector when all Jewish stores are closed) it becomes nearly impossible to even get close to the Church of the Annunciation with a vehicle. Save yourself the stress and visit Nazareth on another day of the week.

Moscow, Russia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with itinerary

David, thank you. I will heed your advice, just not sure when I'll be able to fit Nazareth on another day. Too many places to go and things to see :) ...

vs

Isa.53:10-12

Get answers to your questions about Nazareth