We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Galilee

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving around Galilee

Staying in the village of Yavneel for a week next year and have a car rented. We plan on exploring the Galilee area at our leisure. Just kinda free wheeling it and hitting sites and cities as we go along. Have a few specific places we want to see, but don't have a real set agenda. Hate to ask this,but I seen in the news, when the idiots next store decided to shoot some missiles over. That residents were told to go to bomb shelters. If an incident like this were to happen while we were out and about, would we be required to go to bomb shelters? Or if we choose to take a chance, could we drive back to where we were staying. Are gas masks provided in the shelters? Really hate to ask these questions, but it's the world we live in. On a liter note, how's the parking in cites such as Nazareth, Acre, is there public parking, street parking?

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving around Galilee

Thanks rd, Anything said as regards to my questions would not effect my trip, I coming regardless. The only way I wouldn't come, was if flights were canceled. If I planned my life according to terrorist actions, then they win. That's not a possibility with me. These were just thought that came to mind, and I thought I would throw them out there, just curious. I so much looking forward to coming there. As I explore the places to go and thing to do, Israel just keeps getting better and better. You're lucky to live there, even for just part of the year. Thanks again for your response rd.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving around Galilee

There are paid parking lots in Nazareth and parking tickets for those who have not paid, so be careful if you find parking on the street. In Acre there is free parking on the streets as well as the large parking lot outside the main entrance to the old city as well as other locations in the vicinity.

Regarding rockets, going for cover is the best thing, but since you are a tourist, unless you are in a building there is nothing you can do but lay on the ground. As mentioned above, one never knows what will be in the future. There is a greater chance of being hit by a car in your home town than being here when a rocket is shot at Israel. The masks were used in the Gulf war and found to be unnecessary. Should there be a threat of chemical warfare I doubt you will be coming. Right now everything is as usual, calm and a great place to visit.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving around Galilee

As others have pointed out, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that you will encounter rocket fire during your visit to Israel - much more unlikely than countless other everyday dangerous scenarios in your own home town. The recent event on the northern border was rare, and even if such an event did occur again during your visit, the chances of it being anywhere near you are tiny.

However, as we know from other questions that many people who read this forum are concerned about safety advice, and some people like to have all the information possible, I'm going to supplement Chana's message with a fuller summary of the advice from the civilian command:

- In the unlikely event that you need to take cover, you will hear a loud siren which usually sounds like OO-oo-OO-oo-OO-oo rising and falling in pitch.

- If you are in a car you should stop safely and enter the nearest building. If there is not one, you should leave the car to a safe spot and lie on the ground, covering your head with your hands.

- If you are in a building you should go to a protected room or the stairwell, and sit away from any windows and the doorway. If you are on the top floor you should go down one floor in the stairwell unless you're in a protected room.

Stay there for 10 minutes. It's that simple.

NB even if you hear a siren, it might not be anything to worry about - there are fairly often national drills, and the sirens also sound on national memorial days - so don't panic! Good hint - if nobody else is taking cover, you probably don't need to either.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving around Galilee

Yes ... Avigail ... I have heard that is a good hint! What someone said to me was "look around, and if the Israelis don't look concerned, then you needn't be either".

I have a friend who, while in Jerusalem, got a call from her concerned relative (at home watching television) asking if she was okay, because they were showing bombing going on in Jerusalem.

She said there was nothing of the sort going on - and since then she has taken news reports with many grains of salt.

Must of been a bit of a scuffle somewhere in the city to report it - but, of course, it was blown waaaayyyyyy out of proportion, making it seem like the entire city was under siege.

Your vacation plans sound wonderful, Scott ... that's how I like to travel, too! :). Relaxed and easy-going, and not over-planned.

Though I do like to know where I am sleeping that night!

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving around Galilee

Oops ... Shawn, even ... (terrible memory) ... sorry!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving around Galilee

As a frequent tourist to Israel, I have literally spent months in the Galilee, a favourite spot for my husband and myself and one where I have been sent as part of my work. I have never heard a siren go off. I have never seen any problems. Two summers ago while driving across the Golan I heard loud bangs and was a bit taken aback but it was the Israelis practising with their tanks at a nearby target range and had nothing to do with Syria where there was, and still is, a war in progress. The image of rockets raining down on the Galilee just isn't so.

I have in all my trips to Israel heard a siren once. That was this past September. We were in our B and B room. It was quite eerie but it wasn't close by and none of the Israelis looked worried in the least when we peeked out the window. It was a drill at the nearby airforce base and we were near enough to hear the siren but it didn't pertain to civilians. It would be extremely unlikely that you would have any incidents during your visit. The need for gas masks is almost nil. Most Israelis have them sitting in a closet somewhere to be exchanged every 10 years and that would be the only time they are touched. Once you are in Israel, you will wonder what all the fuss is about in the foreign press. Just yesterday, the front page of our city newspaper had a half page full colour picture of an Israeli woman with her head bandaged and covered in blood. The article was on the research Israel was doing on PTSD and was accompanied by several pictures of injured Israelis and damaged buildings in full colour. You had to read the captions carefully to see that every picture was from 2009- 4 years ago! It certainly looked like this was a daily occurance and is another example of the media giving a very skewed view (even if it was a positive article about Israeli research).

Edited: 12 November 2013, 00:21
Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving around Galilee

Yep firebride, using our Zimmer in Yavne'el as a base, keeping are luggage there. And visiting other city's with over nite bags bags. May add a to the cost, but makes travel much easier.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving around Galilee

That's what I am doing, too, Shawn. I am going to make my bed and breakfast in Jerusalem my home base ... and once I am settled in, even if I am gone for a few nights here and there - the 5-week cost is so amazingly "worth it", and the proprietors so helpful and kind already (and I am not even there yet!) that I am not going to bother them or me with checking in and out for a few nights at the Galilee or the desert, or Bethlehem. I, too, will pack a smaller bag to go to those areas, and keep and return to my BB spot in Jerusalem ... unless there is a good reason not to (like someone desperately needs my room while I am gone).

I see, too, you posted about Cameland. We seem to be developing a similar itinerary. :).

Anmejoshme - you blessed woman! You have your dream job, I am sure ... you get to travel to Israel, and with your husband - as part of your work?

I am so glad for you!

And I am glad, too, in all these times traveling to Israel you haven't encountered a problem. :).

Good to hear.

19. Re: Driving around Galilee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Nazareth