We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Safed

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Safed

Hello,

I am currently considering a day trip to Safed (Tsfat), while I'm in Nazareth, in next May.

Do you think it is feasible by public transport?

I understand I'll have to take NTT bus n.431 from Nazareth to Tiberias + Akifim bus n. 450 from Tiberias to Safed.

Would this be practical? Interchange between buses would take place at the central bus station in Tiberias, but it appears there are only 7 minutes from the time 431 arrives to when 350 departs, if everything is on schedule.

In case I miss n.450 by a few minutes, are there alternatives to reach Safed (e.g. sherut), or should I wait for the next bus?

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Safed

The Tiberias bus station isn't very big so it's likely that you wouldn't miss your connection anyway. The timings are usually quite generous and buses often arrive earlier than the time stated.

If you do miss the 450, you can take a bus to Rosh Pina, from where there are more buses, as well as sheruts, to Tzfat. (There is no sherut from Tiberias to Tzfat.)

You can't buy a through (transfer) ticket because they are different companies.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Safed

Thanks shuffaluff, that sounds great.

I suppose in all cases I can buy tickets directly from the driver, without queuing at ticket booths, right?

I know that on the route between Safed and Tiberias there is the possibility to hop off at the Mount of Beatitudes and walk downhill to Tabgha.

Do you think I will have time to do this after Safed (considering I have to go back to my hotel Nazareth afterwards), or will Safed alone take all of my time for that day?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Safed

Yes, buy your ticket on the bus.

You can decide on the spur of the moment whether you want to get off the bus on the way back; it's not as if you need to book anything in advance! It's entirely up to you how long you want to spend in Safed/Tzfat. Some people might see everything they want in a couple of hours; others might want to spend a full day.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Safed

Yep, right, very sensible! :)

In case I have enough time to stop at Mt. of Beattudes/Tabgha, I guess I should pay separately for each ride (Safed to Mt of Beatitudes + Kfar Nahum to Tiberias), and not simply hop off and hop on, with a ticket covering Safed to Tiberias, correct?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,550 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Safed

You are correct - each ride is a separate ticket - you can't hop off and back on the next bus.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Safed

Great, thanks!

7. Re: Day trip to Safed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Nazareth