We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Israel

Which Netanya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Israel

Hi this is my first trip to Israel

I'm so excited to come there..

Since it is my first trip to Israel I've lot of questions, please bear with me

I've a friend in Netanya so I've booked a hotel there.

I've read in the forum that we can

take train from Airport to Netanya thanks for the details.

I've money in dollars(from my previous trip) I don't have any shekel, can I convert it in the airport at early morning 5 ?.

since my trip is one week can I convert all the money and get a temporary debit card since I don't want to carry cash?

My Indian credit card will not have much of a balance I've balance in debit card, since I have dollars I'm thinking of spending it .

is that advisable?

Prepaid mobile card - Are there any prepaid SIM cards that will have low cost International calling for India. I'm searching in the mean time. I would update the forum if I get any details as well

I know this is silly question :) can I rent motor bikes there and drive with my Indian license?

Thanks all for reading it ..

I'm waiting for July to come early :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Israel

Welcome to the forum. We are here to help. You can convert dollars to shekels early at the airport or at an official change place located throughout the country. You can check with your bank regarding a debit card. such cards are nit available in Israel for tourists.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 13 June 2013, 10:29
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Israel

Welcome.

It will be much better to change USD to Shekels at this airport as you want to get the correct exchange rate and be able to pay for transportation.

Yes, you may purchase a SIM card at the airport on arrival. You can get the SIM card in India from a company named Matrix. +91 98 11288888; +91 11 2680 0000

When going overseas you should have an international diriving licence (should be provided in India). The Indian licence will not be acceptable by any rent-a-car company. I am not sure there are motor-bike for rent.

Giora

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Israel

HI! Welcome to to the Israel forum. A few comments on your post

a. the train in Netanya is not near anything. Upon arrival you will need to take a cab to your hotel. If you are landing at 5AM, by the time you get to Netanya there should be cabs there. Otherwise there is a posted number ( outside the station) to call. Cabs work informally in Netanya on a flat rate. Assuming your hotel is in the city ( where are you staying?), with suitcases it is somewhere between 32-25 NIS. ( I am blanking at the moment) The meter, at that hour, will probably be more! Make sure when you leave the station you are going towards the MAIN Entrance/exit and NOT towards the industrial zone! ( main exit has cafe, large exit etc. etc. , industrial zone is long narrow underground corridor with only two turnstiles to exit through. )

b. there are no temporary debit cards in Israel.

c. I know of no place to rent motorbikes. This has been discussed before on the forum. Try using the search feature ( in Israel forum, not Netanya specific) and see if anyone ever found anything.

d. I believe as long as you license is in English, you do not need an international license.

Chennai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Israel

Hi Chana, Giora and Rglady Thanks a lot for the replies.

I will convert dollars in the airport itself.

I'm staying at Mizpe Yam, as you said I will take a Cab from the railway station.

As pointed by Rglady I will make sure I come out through the main entrance :)

I'm surprised that there are no prepaid card facility , but thanks for the information.

Regarding Matrix card, my friends had bad experience with the company, so I'm avoiding it.

I will find the SIM in Airport or Internet.

I don't ride high power motorbikes, so I would better avoid it. :) I will check for normal bike rentals in the forum.

Thanks again for the welcome. I will be going to Tiberias in the trip. I will post my review of the hotel in the forum and update my experience in between.

If there is any information which you think helpful for a traveler please share it as well.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Israel

There is no place to rent a normal bike in Netanya. There are places in Tel Aviv. Where are you planning on going by bike? Don't forget that it is very hot and humid in the summer and to ride a bile you would need to carry copious amounts of water.

There are also many many places to convert money in the center of Netanya. You hotel is a short walk away. ( maybe 10-15 minutes maximum)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,630 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Israel

If you post your general itinerary it will help us make suggestions for you.

Regarding driving, you do not want to rent a motor scooter if they were available. It would be better to take public transportation which is more efficient, inexpensive and safer than a motor bike for which you would need a special licence as well as international due to very strict driving laws in Israel.

Chana

Israel

Chennai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Israel

Hi Chana,

Thanks a lot for all the information.. In India Motorcycle is a common thing so I was just checking it. I've dropped the whole Idea now :)

I've a friend in Netanya, I'm joining their family vacation from Thursday. I reach Netanya on Tuesday Jul 23 two days in and around Netanya with my friend . She don't have car so only I was checking for Motorcycle. I don't know car driving.

Thursday we are going to Tiberias. Surrounding places for the next two days. It was more of a leisure vacation no big spot seeing tour.

My only concerns are Prepaid travel cash card, Mobile SIM . That's it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,243 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Israel

There are pre-paid debit cards available - you can buy them at the post office. I don't have any more details but have seen them advertised there.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Israel

You could ride bicycles if you like. Motel Aviv in Tiberias rents them and in Tel Aviv, if you get there, you can rent from the stations that are all over town.

Chennai
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Israel

I've one more question. :)

Are there any good shops where we can get Men's wear and shoes for decent rates( ahem.. Cheap :) ) . I'm traveling there in Mid of July will there be any deals on clothing materials that time? I'm traveling in and around Tel Aviv, Netanya and Tiberias .