We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Netanya to Tel-Aviv

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Netanya to Tel-Aviv

We will have to return a rental car, on a Thursday evening, by 6pm, on Ha-Yarkon Street in Tel-Aviv. What time do you think we need to leave Netanya in order to be reasonably confident that we will arrive before the rental car place closes?

(I guess an alternative would be to return the rental car in Netanya, but then -- with our luggage -- I suppose our option to get to Tel-Aviv would be a taxi, which would add cost).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

You are going to be hitting the beginning of rush hour. I would leave a couple of hours--to get from Netanya to Tel Aviv and to find the rental agency.

Are you staying in Tel Aviv Thursday night or are you heading to the airport. You could take the train to Tel Aviv--definitely workable with luggage. Then, you would just take a cab from the train station to your ultimate destination.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

The rush hour traffic on Thursday is the worst !!! Even though you will be going in the opposite direction to the heavy traffic leaving Tel Aviv I recommend leaving Netanya not later than 4 PM.

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

Thanks. We are staying in Tel-Aviv a couple of days thereafter. Do you think it would be better for us to return the rental car at Eldan in Netanya, and then take the train to Tel-Aviv? (We are 4 people, with luggage).

The hotel we are staying at in Tel-Aviv is right near the car rental return place, so -- putting aside the traffic -- it would be easiest to drive to TA, return the car, and then be a couple of blocks away from our hotel -- rather than having to drop off the rental car in Netanya, get to a train station, take a train to TA, then get to our hotel by, I assume, a taxi.

Maybe we should stay in Netanya until later on Thursday, drive to TA after rush hour has ended, park the car at our TA hotel (which I think has free parking), and then return the car the next morning? That would increase the car rental price, I think - but probably not by much.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

The official taxi fare from Netanya to Tel Aviv is 166 NIS. Add about 5 NIS for each piece of luggage and 5 NIS because you are more than two passengers and the total will be about 190-200 NIS. The train and taxis to/from the station won't cost you much less but will be much more inconvenient.

Another option is to leave Netanya earlier, about 3 PM. That way you will avoid the traffic, you will have plenty of time to return the car and you will have the whole evening to spend in Tel Aviv.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

I agree that it doesn't make sense to return the car in Netanya.

Leave Netanya early enough (3pm sounds a bit early to me, but better safe than sorry!), drive to your hotel in Tel Aviv and drop off your luggage plus 2 people to checkin and get organized in your rooms, and then the other 2 of you take the car to Eldan and walk back to the hotel.

USA
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

The problem with that is it cuts into the one full day we will have in Netanya. A better option might be for us to leave Netanya after rush hour, drive to TA, park in our hotel overnight, and return the car on HaYarkon Street in TA the next morning. I need to look into how much more that would cost us, for car rental, but I doubt it would be material. When does rush hour traffic from Netanya to TA subside? I would have thought the evening rush would be going from TA north, but I guess it is busy in both directions?

Edited: 21 January 2014, 22:43
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

Well I see mbgg agreed with me on the two hour lead to get to Tel Aviv on time. I wouldn't leave Netanya to at least 7 if I wanted to be 100% sure that rush hour was over. ( of course all these times are predicated on dry weather--it CAN rain in FEb. and if it does--all bets are off)

Eldan will continue your rate if you keep the car an extra day--so if it is costing you $40 per day for the rental, it will cost $40 per day when you return it late. Just tell them you are doing this. ( play around and see what rate you get if you totally change the reservation, otherwise just tell them when you get the car that your plans changed and you are keeping it an extra day!)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

What are you planning to do for an entire day in Netanya ? It has few tourist attractions. You will have a lot to see in Tel Aviv on Friday morning and you shouldn't waste an hour returning the car.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,315 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

mbgg--that is not true. There are a number of tourist attractions in the Netanya area. I know, you live in Tel Aviv and like Tel Aviv but it is unfair to deny Netanya what it has to offer!

Netanya is also an easier base for visiting closer places in the North.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 09:31
10. Re: Netanya to Tel-Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 00:15