We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Tzfat

California
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Tzfat

I am arriving in Israel Nov. 12th and plan on going straight to Tzfat for a few days. What is the best way to get to Tzfat. Are there Sheruts available from the airport or will I have to take a bus from the Tel Aviv central bus station? THANKS

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

I don't believe there is a Sherut from the airport to Tzfat.

The best way is to take the train from the airport to Acco (about 2 hours), then bus 361 from the train station of Acco to Tzfat (about an hour and 15 minutes).

You may need to take a taxi from the bus station in Tzfat to your destination. You can also take a Taxi from Acco to Tzfat (about 200 IS).

Tell us what time your flight arrive and we'll be able to give you the relevant time table of the train and the bus.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

I found only 1 direct bus to Safed, it is no. 846 from the central bus station and it is at 1700 only. It takes 3 hours and 20 minutes, and costs 53.5. You can reach the cetral bus station by train to the Hagana station and walk to the bus station, just a few minutes walk.

Another option is to go to Jerusalem by sherut and from the Jerusalem central bus station take bus no. 486, costs 41 shekels and take 3 hours and 40 minutes. This is a more frequent bus.

Another option is to go to the central bus station in Bnei Brak by taxi and take a bus from there, no. 982 which goes almost every hour.

You can check the Egged site by bus number which is easier to get more information.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

The option MB gave you is the best.

California
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

I arrive at Ben Gurion at 2:00 pm on a Wednesday afternoon and will have luggage with me. I'm planning on heading to Jerusalem Friday AM. THANKS

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

it takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to get out of the airport, so you either make it to the 14:59 train or the next one at 15:59. Arriving at Acco : 16:49 or 14:49.

You then have bus 361 from Acco to Tzfat at: 17:05, 17:35, 18:05, 18:35.

I don't know what your other plans are, but making the trip from the airport to Tzfat with your luggage, after a long flight from California (I assume) is not easy. If it is possible, consider going from the airport to Jerusalem. Then after the weekend, make the trip from Jerusalem to Tzfat (line 982, about 3 and a half hours). If you go back to Jerusalem you can leave your luggage in Jerusalem.

California
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

I wish I could. I am going to Jerusalem for a convention and the activies start with Shabbat programming and go all the way through the week. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

So maybe go to Haifa by train, spend a night or two there and then take a bus to Safed (361 direct from Central HaMifratz station, less than two hours journey).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

Cmaher - you realy have no other choice.

Once you get to Acco, remember the option of a taxi to you destination in Tzfat (in case you and your luggage had enough of public transportation).

Some information about taxi rates (so they don't try to play tricks on you):

The driver shuold turn the meter on, unless the passanger chooses to go by a flat rate. In both cases - the driver may charge 3.40 IS for each suitcase (hand bags are free).

The official flat rate is 205 IS till 21:00 and 245 IS at night.

Have a great trip

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

You actually do have a choice if, as I understand, you have decided to spend a few days in Tzfat, and you planned it so as to reach Tzfat immediately upon arriving in the country. Seen as how it's a gruelling journey, do think it over again and consider breaking the journey either in Haifa or in Akko.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to Tzfat

Anon - I don't see the point in your suggestion. Breaking the journey means getting to and from the hotel, pack, unpack, check in, check out.. And it is only about an hour from Acco to Tzfat.