We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide for Tzfat?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
144 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Guide for Tzfat?

A number of guides have received good reviews on the forum --but hard to tell what they'e "speciality" is. We're not religious (I'm Jewish, husband is not), love Israel, history, and are interested in seeing artists at work, learning a bit about the history of Tzfat and Jewish mysticism. We have been to tzfat before, wandered around by ourselves, enjoyed the synagogues we saw and the art galleries but felt like we missed a lot. We'd like a guide who is lively, interesting, and will not make a tour seem like a lecture.

Here are some of the guides that have been mentioned. Which of these do you think might best fit the description of our interests? Any others you would recommend? We will be in Tzfat on a Sunday & Monday, but also will be nearby on Rosh Pina on Friday night & Shabbat. (we're splitting our time because we wanted to have the experience of the two very different atmospheres).

Aryeh Buznakh

David Amiel

Jeff Katz

Aviva Minoff

Thanks!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,950 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

There are many many guides mentioned on the forum. There are also a few guides who post on the forum. One is Davetheguide and the other is Oreets. Chana too is a guide.

I believe Aryeh lives in the Tsfat area and has been recommended for his walking tours of the city.

Please be aware that ALL licensed guides are throughly trained to guide all over the country. The best way to decide a guide that is best for you is to

a. email and see how they respond

b. after you have narrowed it to a few, make arrangements to call or skype the guide. See how the guide interracts on the phone/skype. See how the guide responds to your questions. Decide if the guide is listening to what you are asking or just telling you what to do. While you DO want input--the guide is the expert you also want your needs, wants and desires to be fulfilled. YOU are the customer and should have the ultimate say.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

We used Aryeh Buznakh a few weeks ago. We live in Israel, Jewish and not religious. We visited the synagogues, the market, and several aglleroes. We went to the houses and studios of several artists in the Artist Colony too. Aryeh was born in Tzfat and is well know by everybody there. If you have time take a tour that includes the citadel too, not just the old city, about 4 hours.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 09:45
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

aglleroes=synagogues - I have no idea how this typo happened

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,118 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

Any one of the guides you mentioned would be a good choice for a tour of Tsfat - I would contact them and see who is available on the date you need and then go from there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

The owner of Artidt Colony Inn in safed is married to a guide who tours that area amongst others. His name is Jeff

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,118 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

The guide that leisner mentions - the owner of the Artists Colony - is the Jeff Katz mentioned by the OP

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

Thanks everyone. I have made arrangements with Jeff. Will report when I get back.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

That is Jeff Katz. I have booked him as our guide when we are in Tzfat. We are also staying at the Artists Colony Inn. Can't wait to get to Israel, we leave Saturday :)

Tzfat
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

This may also help:

www.safed-home.com/TouristInformation.html

It's a list of local guides. These are guides who are all used by the Tzfat Tourist Information Center. They are licensed, professional and local guides. As you can see, some have cars for people who want to use a guide for a tour.

Laurie

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,629 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide for Tzfat?

For others who may read this thread, Aryeh Buznakh is indeed a wonderful guide. I'm sure Jeff is terrific, too, and I hope you have/had a great experience!

Douglas Duckett

In Jerusalem