We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israeli supermarkets

Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Israeli supermarkets

Does anyone know any names of hypermarkets/supermarkets in Israel?(such as Auchan,Tesco,Lidl,Costco,etc)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Mega, Supersol, Tiv Ta'am, Rami Levy, ....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Israeli supermarkets

In addition to mbgg's list: Co-op Shop, Victory, Cheaperkol, Kimat Hinam

Adrian, are you doing a survey of world supermarkets?!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Israel does not have 'hypermarkets' such ad Costco, nor large bulk packaging available to the average shopper (only to institutes).

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,955 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Are you looking for anything specific - there are still many small neighborhood supermarkets in Israel where you can get anything and everything.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Excuse me for getting a bit off the topic: When I was preparing for my Israeli trip I was interested in the same thing: Where on earth can I find some big supermarkets??- because it´s obviously easier for a tourist with weak knowledge of local language and customs, to find a big supermarket and take his time to buy everything he needs for the best prices.... The fact is, Israel really has almost no supermarkets similiar to Tesco/Lidl/Billa or whatever we know in Europe. After arriving to Israel I think I understood why this is. And even though it caused me some discomfort, I can only admire how beneficial this is for local citizens. I have never in my life seen so many small shops, one next to another, groceries next to another groceries, dozen on every street! Though I believe these shopkeepers will never become rich from their bussiness, they seem to have a decent livelihood and I felt good to support them, even if it meant to pay a bit more and find only some things I´ve desired. Here in Slovakia we have Tesco literally in every village, but every local shopkeeper struggles and many have already closed. They have no chance to compete with these gigants... maybe I am naive and the reasons for not having supermarkets is different, but I truly wish Israel to keep it this way :)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,515 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Israeli supermarkets

There are big supermarkets (not massive hypermarkets though) usually on the outskirts of cities or at road junctions somewhat off the beaten track, where land is cheaper and there is space for big parking lots. These are generally in areas where tourists are not likely to go.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israeli supermarkets

<< Israel really has almost no supermarkets similiar to Tesco/Lidl/Billa >>

Really ? What village did you spend your entire vacation in ?

Israel is lucky that it doesn't have a supermarket like Lidl :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,955 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israeli supermarkets

While we may not have huge supermarkets as large as Tesco and certainly nothing comparing to Costco - Israel does have mega-supermarkets. They are simply not near anywhere tourists will usually be. They require having a car and driving out to the outskirts of town, an industrial area or suburbs - so that you will not encounter them easily.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Dear mbgg, my post was meant as a compliment to your country and, of course, it was based on my personal experience from my travels around most of the biggest cities (and yes, even some small ,,villages") in Israel. So I don´t quite get your irritated tone :) While you surely have big markets, I haven´t seen any of international chains which have already consumed most of our (Slovak) market. That´ s all. Sorry for writing about my impressions without 100-percent accurate information, but I guess that´s what tourist´s experience is always about...

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Where were you staying in Israel?

As others have said, the larger supermarkets (SuperSol Deal, HyperKol, etc.) are usually located in "industrial zones" (which are sometimes more "shopping zones" than "industrial zones") and not in urban centers.

A tourist, especially one without a car, won't have much reason to go to these areas.

But neighborhood mini-markets and makolets are very handy and stock a decent variety.