We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israeli supermarkets

Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Israeli supermarkets

Does anyone know any names of hypermarkets/supermarkets in Israel?(such as Auchan,Tesco,Lidl,Costco,etc)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,925 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Kathy--those of us participating in the pickle debate--I do not think we are arguing, we are having some good natured fun and playing.

Firebride--plenty of things are pickled in Israel-- and disliking pickles themselves ( especially when they appear in "strange" places has nothing to do with other pickled foods.

Adrian--our OP, sorry your thread has gone so far askew. If you need further clarification about supermarkets--of course ask and we will respond seriously!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Israeli supermarkets

mbgg, regarding s'chug, there's a felafel and shwarma place near the Jerusalem bus station that has a big wall poster (in Hebrew) inside saying Harif? (Spicy?), with about 30 numbered answers, such as "Yes!" "No!" "Please!" "As much as possible!" "Not on your life!" "Fill it up!" "I'm Moroccan! [implying the spicier the better]" "I'm Ashkenazi! [implying that all the Oriental spices are definitely not wanted...]" "The more the better!" "Just a tiny bit!" "No, no, no, no, no!!!" "Yes, definitely!" "Are you trying to poison me?" and so on.

43. Re: Israeli supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 October 2013, 16:35
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Running for city council isn't running for mayor! We have two separate votes, one for mayor and one for city council. So there's nothing to stop anyone voting for a candidate for mayor who represents one party and a city council list that represents another party. But when voting for the +city council list+ you don't vote for an individual but for a party. If Masada Porat's party gets enough votes and she is high enough on the list, she will get in.

Knesset elections are the same. You vote for a party, and if a party gets say 10 percent of the total votes it will get 10 percent of the seats. There are 120 Knesset seats, so it would get 12 seats. And the first 12 names on that party list - in the order compiled by the party itself - are the ones who get in. Of course this often means that although you support that party because its interests coincide with yours, if you can't stand the person at the head of the list, well, too bad.

We've come a long way from supermarkets!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,778 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Israeli supermarkets

It seems to me that now that we went through supermarkets, tuna salad, pickles and politics, it's time to let this thread die an honorable death.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 16:45
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Israeli supermarkets

around the corner from the leonardo plaza in jerusalem on king george street; is a store called supersol? last i checked jerusalem is a big city in israel, king george street is center of town, leonardo plaza is a place fairly likely to have tourists, and superso; is a supermarket. so i am a bit lost in this thread here. just wondering

Edited: 11 November 2013, 17:21
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Israeli supermarkets

Yes, there is a Shufersal (Supersol) on Agron Street. Come out of the Leonardo Plaza, turn left, and then left again at the traffic lights. Does that answer your question?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Israeli supermarkets

it was not a question. it was a response to a poster who said there are no supermarkets in areas frequented by tourists in major israeli cities

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Israeli supermarkets

The question was asked about huge hypermarkets. There are indeed no hypermarkets in places where tourists are likely to go. Supermarkets are all over the place. And there is one in the basement of the Hamashbir department store on King George Avenue where it meets Ben-Yehuda pedestrian mall (in Jerusalem).

50. Re: Israeli supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2017, 04:17