We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

I will be in Tiberias for one day, Galilee for 2 days and Jerusalem for 3 days. Where can I safely exchange American dollars to INS?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

In every city (including Tiberias and Jerusalem) there are money changer shops in which you will get the best rate

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,650 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

Thanks for reporting on your own thread. :)

There are plenty of no commission exchange kiosks and banks all over the place in Israel. The best rate is usually through the no commission kiosks. I asked the same question about Tiberias last year... You can see the response and great answers I received here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297765-i8115-k…

I had no problem finding a place with those instructions.

For Jerusalem there are exchange kiosks all over the place. I avoided those in the Old City, but used some on Jaffa Road. One was close to the light rail stop City Hall and there are others near the city centre stop.

Where in Galilee will you be? Tiberias is in Galilee.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange

Heather, For Tiberias, it's close to Holiday Inn Hotel and in Galilee, by the Dead Sea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange

Unfortunately, the Dead Sea is not in the Galilee.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,650 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange

Angel, your geography seems a bit mixed up. Tiberias is located on the Sea of Galilee. The northern part of Israel which contains the Sea of Galilee is referred to as Galilee.

As samd said, the Dead Sea is not in Galilee. If you would like to post the name and address of your hotel that you think is located near the Dead Sea we may be able to help you more.

Lawton, OK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange

Thank you Heather for the reminder on the money exchange kiosk....we will be visiting Israel later in the year and I appreciate your advice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Exchange

Did you check the rates charged by your bank for ATM withdrawls? ATMs are located in convenient locations and provide a convience of not having to carry large sums of money or spend vacation time standing in line at an exchange. Its a viable option if you have a bank card

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Exchange

So sorry for the great mix-up. The hotel is Scots Hotel in Galilee.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency Exchange

The Scots hotel is in Tiberias. There is a currency exchange on Galil street about 200 feet from the entrance to the hotel on the left side of the street 2nd or 3rd store front. There is also a bank a couple of doors down with an ATM that accepts foreign cards.

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency Exchange

Thanks to all for the valuable information.

Get answers to your questions about Tiberias