We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Ferry to other islands?

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fly or Ferry to other islands?

Would you say it was better to fly or take ferries to toher islands? How far are they by ferry? and is there a huge difference in price?

thanks

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

Between Mahe and Parslin I would fly as its only 15 mins. I don't know the exact price, maybe 70-80 pounds return? The ferry would take considerably longer and may be cheaper, but probably not cheap enough in proportion to the time travelling. Between Praslin and La Digue, its a ferry which is only a half hour journey and a few pounds each way. You could fly via helicopter but this would be the most expensive option. As for outer islands or private islands I'd ask the hotel where you plan to stay to recommend the most appropriate mode of transport.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

it depends on your sea legs!

We took a boat from mahe to la digue and it took over 2 hours and I was sea sick the whole way (never again).....we then took a short hop from la digue to praslin which was shorter and not too bad. we then flew back to mahe from praslin.

A lot of the outer islands (we went to bird) are plane only I think, it took approx 30 minutes to bird island from mahe.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

Sounds like flying would be better then, i am not great on long sea journeys.. thank you for the posts

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

We took the ferry from Mahe to Praslin last August - it was very rough. The journey took 1 hour and the waves crashed over the catamaran just about the entire trip. We decided to fly back from Praslin to Mahe, very simple & smooth 15 minute flight with Air Seychelles. Our luggage came on the next flight as the flight was overloaded. No big price difference (may have changed) and flights left every 15 minutes but ferry services more limited. From Praslin to La Digue return like the other post advises it wasn't as bad, was rough but after the crossing from Mahe to Praslin it was much better and only 30 minutes.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

is it best to book the flights before we go or can we do it there?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

I would recommend booking the flights before arrival into Seychelles. If you plan to make this flight a connecting one to your arrival into Seychelles it is a 2 min walk from international arrivals to domestic depatures. It is clearly marked with signs and all open air. The flights were all full between Mahe and Praslin and we witnessed many passengers on later flights attempting to travel on an earlier flight as they had arrived earlier for example so they had an unofficial stand by system. Therefore any spare seats that would have been there were taken to accommodate these changes to passengers. If you were to arrive the midst of this to make a new one way flight booking, you may have to wait a few hours to see if there are spare seats due to these changes that normally wouldn't occur but due to the size & relaxed nature it happens frequently in peak seasons (Air Seychelles staff advice). Praslin to Mahe was by far more relaxed as Praslin airport didn't have the international arriving passengers like Mahe wanting to change to contend with.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

So which island would you reccommend to visit- keeping in mind we have a 5yr old too.

i dont think we want to visit more than one.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

which ever island you decide - you have to visit La Digue - even if its for a day trip (we did it in a day trip) and it was stunning.

We went to bird for our honeymoon after our wedding on mahe, its very quiet, romantic, relaxing, no cars, no tv, no roads and deserted beaches - so whether you want that with your little one its up to you.

there are lots to choose from, im sure other suggestions will follow!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

Hello spandey...could we check if you mean which other islands to go to after Mahe?

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly or Ferry to other islands?

Yes i did mean other than Mahe as thats where we would be based.. any suggestions?

Get answers to your questions about Mahe Island