We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauritius or Sychelles?

Which Mahe Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pune, Maharashtra...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mauritius or Sychelles?

I want to go away in August. cant decide between Seychelles and Mauritius.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

Dear Traveller1228,

Been to both countries and they are very different because Mauritius is offering a wide variety of motorized water sports, good nightlife in Grand Baie, walking with lions in Casela Park, day trips to Cerf Island or Gabriel Island while Seychelles has nicer beaches, better snorkeling and great natural reserves with endemic palm species (coco de mer) and birds (Magpie Robin, Blue Pigeon or the local Warbler). Seychelles is a little bit more expensive but for me is offering the Paradise that I have always wanted to live in. Depending on your preferred activities you can choose one or the other.

Miki

england
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

we went to mauritius last yr but are looking to travel to the sychelles next march ...where is the best hotel ,,,for the perfect beach but modern hotel and steak house ?? x

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

There are plenty of modern resorts with great beaches and touching cuisine: Four Seasons, Ephelia, Banyan Tree, Raffles or Lemuria.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

We are in Mauritius now after 2 weeks in Seychelles. If you want spectacular beaches, then go to the Seychelles. We are at Trou aux Biches in Mauritius, nice beach, great swimming there and tons of boats and water toys to choose from. Food is much cheaper here - actually, we found Seychelles a fair bit more expensive, but definitely worth it. We do self cater, but in Seychelles we didn't cook at all - just had breakfast and lunch stuff in the kitchen. We are cooking more in Mauritius as we are here for 3 weeks. Also, Mauritius is a much bigger island, but if you are planning only 1 or 2 weeks, then Seychelles is big enough. I recommend staying on Praslin - we loved it, did a day trip to La Digue and then 4 days in Mahe. Praslin was definitely the highlight for us.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

So Buckhorn it seems that you did not visit Anse Marron, Grand Anse, Anse Cocos, Petite Anse and Anse Severe. I am really sorry that you did not book accomodation on La Digue. The sunsets are to die for.

As for Mauritius what did you visit up to now? Are you planning a day trip to Ile aux Cerfs or Gabriel / Flat Island? Did you visit Chamarel area?

Miki

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

We did visit Anse Severe and the other bays just north. It was lovely, but we preferred Anse Lazio and the Anse on the other side of Curieuse (Petit Jose??).

Perhaps because the tide was low when we were at Anse Severe and so we couldn't swim?

We have only been in Mauritius a few days, and are planning a day trip to Flat Island, and also a road trip to the south east coast (Blue Bay), the 3 south east islands, and Black River area. Not sure about Chamarel area. Will keep you posted.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

You missed the best part of La Digue: South-west, South-east and South. Anse Severe, Patates and Gaulette can not be compared with Anse Marron, Grand Anse or Anse Cocos. They are ordinary beaches but very good for snorkeling (mostly Severe). You can swim even if it is low tide here but you have to walk through the water for 50-60 m (I know it is not quite comfortable because there are lots of corals)

On Curieuse you have Anse St Jose at Doctor's House and Baie Laraie / Anse Papaie on the south-eastern side where you can find giant tortoises and also hawksbill turtles hatching on the beach.

How was your stay at Gee? Did you like it? In which suite did you stay? Vanilla?

Blue Bay is really great, with nice beaches and nice views. For Gabriel Island I recommend you Northview Tours, especially Coral Belle catamaran.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 17:45
Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

Thanks Miki. I'll check it out. Maison Soleil was lovely. We stayed in the Cinnamon Room (the cheaper one) which was great. In the back, private, large room and bathroom and our own kitchen and verandah. Not a suite, but perfect for 2 of us.

On Curieuse we swam at the beach where the museum is (not sure which one that is). Can you recommend a place to stay at Blue Bay?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

On Blue Bay you have Blue Lagoon Beach Hotel, Preskil and Shandrani. Shandrani is very expensive, Preskil seems to be a very good option.

Try to check www.mauritius-seychelles.com

Anse St Jose is the name of the beach you swam at.

Nerja
Level Contributor
12 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mauritius or Sychelles?

Been to both now ( as well as The maldives) , if you like beaches and tea plantations and places of interest , then Seychelles is the one , much much nicer than mauritius.