We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

Atlanta
13 posts
Save Topic
Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

Hello. I'll be visiting Praslin for six days next month and shortly plan to post a rough itinerary on which I would love everyone's feedback.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get a sense of Praslin's size. I would love to spend at least one day exploring the island, and can't tell if that's doable on a bicycle. About how many miles (or km) is the U-shaped road from one end to the other? And is the stretch that runs through Ville de Mai doable on a bike?

We will be staying at La Reserve. We're in our 30s and reasonably fit. On one hand, I don't want to over-exert ourselves, but on the other I'm a little skittish about driving on the "other" side of the road.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

For me Praslin was too large to explore extensively on a bike. Its not so much the distances, but the humidity and the hills are quite steep in places. That said, I'd still hire a bike and use it to get between La Reserve and the stretch of land either side of La Reserve. To one side its the sweeping Cote D'or bay and the other a series of smaller bays and a winding road. I would not worry about driving on the other side of the road. Essentially most of the roads are so narrow you are practically driving down the middle anyway. Its suprising how quickly you get used to driving on the otherside of the road. I was seriously stressed about having to to drive in LA a few years ago but in the end it wasn't so bad. I'd advise hiring a car for one or two days so you can explore the island and then use a bike for local shorter trips. If you like to cycle I would advise taking the boat over to La Digue and hiring a bike, its a very easy island to cycle and with almost no cars its an absolute pleasure to spend a day in the saddle exploring the island.

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

If you're serious cyclists then it will present no problem. There are some reasonable hills especially through Vallee De Mai. I would say hire a car, it might sound a bit lazy, but it will reward you with time to enjoy the destination itself.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
75 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

If you are staying at La Reserve you are ideally located for lovely cycling, dont rent a car before you have done some cycling, its expensive and you will be able to do all the nice little sea paths and that side of the island by bike. And you are on the bus route to get to Anse Lazio, nearby but a steep ride, i would not attempt that one by bike. The airport side is not very exciting. I have just returned, stayed right next to La Reserve, went diving in the morning and cycled every afternoon to where ever the road took us. Unpacked where we found a nice beach, had a quick snorkel, then read our books while drying on the beach, then continued... bliss! You dont see many cyclists on Praslin, the roads looks a bit narrow and I think many tourists consider it dangerous on the road, but it is not at all the case.

As mentioned by someone else, La Digue is THE place for cycling, nearly like motorbikes in Thailand...! You have to visit there for at least a day.

My friends stayed at La Reserve and there are so many activities offered there that you might not want to cycle all day... they loved the place!

We rented some bikes for the full duration of our stay from the bike shop next to Berjaya Praslin Beach - quite worn and scruffy but did the trick and seemed to have been the only place around for private renting, perhaps they will have better at your hotel. Enjoy!

4. Re: Is Praslin Small Enough to Bike Around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 05:17