We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Hi,

My husband and I are in Praslin in two weeks. I am still putting together an itinerary although I don't want anything too busy.

Here was what I was thinking:

1) visit Vallee de Mai - does anyone know what the entrance fee is?

2) Learn Snorkelling - any suggestions on companies in Praslin who are reasonably priced

3) Trying to decide if we should visit La Digue or Curieuse Island for the day.

4) We are staying at Le Duc De Praslin for the 4 days. That is close to Anse Volbert - any ideas on affordable places to eat good food (we will be buying our own lunch)?

Any insight will be really appreciated :)

Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Hi there

You don't rush anything in the Seychelles, take it nice and easy, but equally don't miss out.

1 - Vallee De Mai entrance was around EUR15 last time I was there, but it may have gone up. You can take a shortish itinerary of around 45 minutes, or the longer walk which will be around twice that length. WHatever, it is a unique place and well worth the visit.

2 - Pass, not sure of individual names

3 - You must visit La Digue, simply turn up, buy your ferry ticket and hire a bike or two at the other end. It is a very special island. Curieuse is stunning as well and you will see tortoises wild, but if you want to cut one down, maybe this is the one.

4 - Le Duc is a wonderful hotel, great choice. Not sure of names of restaurants on Praslin as I've only eaten in the hotels thus far, there are a fair few, not as many as Mahe, so best call is to ask at the hotel, they are pretty cool at letting people know the best places.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Great advice above. For snorkelling I'd try the following.

1. Find the local dive shop and ask them how to put the mask on properly, how to clear it if water leaks in and how to blow water out of the snorkel.

2. Book an organised snorkelling trip and ask the guys in the boat the same questions.

3. My best tip is before you go. Find a dive shop near you and go in and get fitted with a good mask and ask them to explain what to do. The dive fraternity is very welcomming and helpful so you should find a dive shop happy to help. I would not buy fins, but a good mask is worth the investment. I've had mine 10 years and it's still going strong. Not bad for the 40 quid I'll shelled out initially.

Mahe Island...
Level Contributor
818 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

you have made good choices so far..... no confusion!

there are a few restaurants in walking distance to Le Duc, but none are better! maybe just a bit cheaper... try Laurier, and ask at the hotel they will offer good advice...

and rent a car for a few days to see the rest of the island...

enjoy!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Thank you. This is very useful info.

Glad to know I'm on the right track :)

Do you know if there hotels/ shops that will offer snorkel gear for hire. Would prefer not to have to travel with equiupement if we can help it (also mo cost effective till I know we enjoy the activity).

With snorkeling, is it necessary to do do it further out in sea by taking a boat trip or are there good spots if you walk into the sea? Probably a really silly question but like I said, I'm still a newbie...

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

A lot of hotels provide masks, snorkels and fins for free or a small fee. If your hotel doesn't then a local dive shop should hire them out by the day.

Anse volbert does not have much to see for snorkellers because the water us shallow with a sandy bottom. That said it would be a perfect spot to get used to snorkelling as it's so shallow and you can snorkel in 2/3 feetvof water. You might even get lucky and see a ray.

There are lots of great spots though around the island where you can snorkel from the shore. Ask at the hotel and they will tell you where or if you are just driving around then anywhere that you see rocks in the water will usually throw up something intesting to see.

I can't think of a better destination to try snorkelling as the variety of areas and access to the beaches us excellent. As all the beaches are public.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

You should do both Curieuse and La Digue if you have the time, as they are very different. Curieuse has the turtles roaming around and a very nice white sand beach at the end of a the walking trail through different vegetation.

La Digue has many beaches and if you do go, I would suggest you to go early. The southern beaches are more popular. There isn't a whole lot of restaurants on Anse Volbert. You can order take out pizza at the Berjaya restaurant by the beachfront. And there is a restaurant further down in the south end of the beach across the road just pass the Y-junction. I forgot the name, but you sit outside. Their food isn't bad too. Food in general isn't cheap in the Seychelles.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

Thanks all. Feeling a lot more comfortable now.

3 days to go... can't wait!!

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

The entrance fee is 20 euro now. Enjoy - vallee de mai is fantastic. I thoroughly recommend getting a guide to explain the coco de mer and various things you'll see there.

Seychelles
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

White Tip Divers is based at Paradise Sun Hotel right next to Le Duc. You should be able to hire snorkel and fins there if you don't get round to buying them. Another recent write up suggests the hotel offers an affordable lunch menu, so may want to check it out if you're there anyway.

It's fairly easy to get a taxi boat from Anse Volbert to Curieuse although there may be a landing fee payable to visit the island so check with Reception first and take the cash with you.

There's a really cute gellateria with nice ice-cream a short walk from the hotel.

Enjoy paradise!

Edited: 09 June 2011, 07:05
10. Re: Itinerary confusion - Vallee De Mai and Island visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 12:23
Get answers to your questions about Praslin Island