We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Which Praslin Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Hi everyone,

we (2) are traveling to Praslin + La Digue Islands from 13 to 23 November later this year.

I wanted to ask you what are the best places for snorkeling on this island after Anse Lazio and Anse Sours d'Argent.

Any recommendation on a place to stay? I was thinking maybe a place near the Cote d'Or or Anse Volbert but I'm not sure about the snorkeling there. Budget is 100 euro/night per person.

Guesthouses are also an option if relatively close to the beach.

We were thinking of places like Laurier or Acquariovilla.

Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks,

Jan

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Hi,

The only snorkelling we did on Praslin was around St Pierre island just off the Cote d'Or coast. We combined it with a 1/2 day trip to Curieuse island with its giant tortoises. The snorkelling was okay - not much coral but a variety of fish and a turtle. From Anse Volbert itself I don't think there's much to see, although we were told that just along the coast at Anse Petit Cour (in front of La Reserve Hotel) should be good.

On La Digue there's Anse Severe on the northern tip which has nice snorkelling, especially around the rocks at either end of the beach. But for the best snorkelling, take a trip to Coco and Felicite islands, just north of La Digue. It's a protected area so the marine life was more abundant and the coral in better shape.

As for accommodation, we stayed at Acquario last year. Farida and Joseph are great hosts and her Breadfruit Gratin was simply delicious. Its location is perfect, approx 50m past Whitetip Divers at the end of Anse Volbert. I think we paid €110/nt (incl breakfast) for both of us in a huge self-catering bungalow. Spotlessly clean, a/c in the bedroom and a fully equipped kitchen (although we hardly used it). Wanted to stay there this year but it was full at the time.

Haven't stayed at Les Lauriers, but I know they had a fire earlier this year and are in the process of re-building some of their bungalows. I can recommend their buffet though.

Have a great trip!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Thanks a lot for the tips. I hope it's not too late to get a room in Acquario!

Did you book through http://www.acquariovilla.com/reservation or how?

Greetings,

Jan

Edited: 12 August 2013, 13:07
Dublin
Level Contributor
106 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

I stayed in Praslin last October and found good snorkelling from the beach at Anse Lazio and also Anse Georgette.I will also be staying in Acquario as I stayed on a different side of the island last year and am returning October this year

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Acquario is a good option but you do not have snorkeling off the beach in Anse Volbert area. A good option (5-7 mins by car away from Anse Volbert) is Villa Kass located in Anse Possession area where you have fair snorkeling on the right side of the beach near the house built just on the edge of the water. On Anse Petit Cour you have good snorkeling off the beach from La Reserve but you need permission to enter the site or you have to use a boat to get there. Anse Lazio is perfect for snorkeling on November but take care with the rocks because you can scratch yourself. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297799-d472367-r150124023-Anse_Lazio-Praslin_Island.html - the link with some of my Anse Lazio pictures from last November).

St Pierre is another good spot for snorkeling while Coco and Felicite must not be missed if you want to see turtles. Another good spot for snorkeling on Novemeber is off Baie Laraie beach where we saw turtles, big humphead parrotfish, moorish idols, surgeons and unicorn fish. We spot on Anse Jose beach baby hawksbill turtles and I won't miss the trip to Cousin, Curieuse and St Pierre if you love snorkeling, birds and turtles.

Miki

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Hi Jan,

No, I booked direct with Farida. The official Acquario website is http://acquario-seychelles.com and you can find all the contact details on there; although the link you mention above has a lot more information about the place.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Many thanks for the detailed info, very useful.

Greetings from Belgium,

Jan

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Hi,

our trip as approaching. The Acquario guesthouse was overbooked on Agoda so, we were offered (by Helene, Acquario guesthouse) an alternative nearby accommodation Bonjour Guesthouse; according to the owner it is as good. It should be something new and I haven't found any info on the web. Is anyone of you familiar with the the island has ever heard about such a guesthouse?

Any info would be appreciated.

Greetings,

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

I have never heard of it but probably I pass near it when I was on Praslin. Where is it located?

La Digue Island...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Far right of Anse Lazio in front of Honesty Bar is the best snorkelling.

For 100.00 per night Iles Des Palmes has bungalows off the beach. Anse La Blague this time of year has a perfect snorkeling site off the reef that rivals anything in Praslin.

Cote D'or area has a lot of construction at the moment.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling and accommodation advice

Guess I booked the wrong place...:( I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks,