We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

Searching for a location for our summer vacation. We've visited Sedona Arizona (spring) and Mont Tremblant, Canada (summer), recently and loved hiking and enjoying nature during the day, but going into "town" at night for our 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son to enjoy the touristy shops. Other places we liked are the quiet side of Cape Cod MA (Ocean's Edge Resort). We prefer lodging that is a condo/cottage, so we can have some room to spread out.

This year we want to stay closer to home, and are interested in New Hampshire, upstate NY or Maine and are looking for some suggestions.

We expect to pay around $1500 per week for lodging, a little more or less would work as well.

Where can you point us to begin looking?

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

"but going into "town" at night for our 15 year old daughter and 7 year old son to enjoy the touristy shops"

That part has me a little concerned for the Adirondacks... There are only two towns that might fit the bill - Lake Placid and Lake George. I don't love either one, because I don't think they are very "Adirondack-y" -- but Lake Placid is the better of the two...

How about Vermont?

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

Bolton Landing area is much nicer than Lake George Village and they are only 10 minutes apart. I agree that Lake Placid is a nicer town than Lake George Village - but after awhile there are only so many T-shirt shops anyone can enjoy... in the Lake George area (which is a 32 mile lake not just the village) there are a lot of nice areas to stay.

Try www.visitlakegeorge.com for some rental ideas. You may wish to consider a cabin or a cottage. Cabins do not have kitchens and cottages have kitchens. Many are directly on the lake too and can be had for $1500+/- for the week.

I am a big fan of the Lake and I have enjoyed much time there over the last 20 years. There is so much to do for all ages - hiking, camping, swimming, boat rentals, para sailing, fishing, amusement park, water parks, museums...and so much more

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

I have to put in my vote for Lake George, Bolton Landing, Lake Placid, or Old Forge. They all have what you are looking for.

If you want to visit an amazing golf resort (with a hefty price tag), check out the Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid.

http://www.thewhitefacelodge.com/

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

Try website: whitefaceregion.com for information about Wilmington, NY and the surrounding area. It's 12 miles from Lake Placid, with reasonably-priced accommodations, including houses to rent. Lots of opportunities for hiking, public beach, gondola rides/hiking on Whiteface Mt. Free concerts at the beach every Thursday in the summer. You can always visit Lake Placid in the evenings.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

Forgot to mention Lake Placid Golf Resort for good golf--but the fabulous mountain views can distract you from your game!

6. Re: Nature/Golf and something to do at night for family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 23:21