We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do and see

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do and see

Hi all, thinking of visiting Adirondack for a few days in Aug/Sep time and looking for things to do and see while we are there.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do and see

If you like to hike, I'd base yourself in Keene Valley or Saranac Lake. Many hikes start from the Adirondack Loj off of Route 73, not far from Keene Valley.

Blue Mountain Lake, Long Lake, Indian Lake, Schroon Lake, Lake Luzerne and/or Speculator are other towns worth checking out. I personally don't like the crowded, overly touristy towns of Lake George, Lake Placid and Old Forge. Bur I am probably in the minority.

The Adirondack Museum is a worthwhile stop as is a hike up Blue Mountain in Blue Mountain Lake.

The Sagamore Great Cmmp in Raquette Lake (not far from Blue Mountain Lake) is also interesting.

There is also a new museum in Tupper Lake (natural history, I believe); I haven't been there but it's on my list.

There are also many amazing kayaking/canoeing options in the region. Once you determine where you will stay, selecting a body of water will be a piece of cake!

Enjoy your time in upstate NY!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do and see

rjr0810 gave some nice ideas. The hiking in the Adirondacks is wonderful, Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Museum I think are fantastic places. I have enjoyed canoeing on Blue Mountain Lake - you can rent canoes there.

I happen to really like Lake George the most - not the Village of Lake George but the lake itself. I like the town of Bolton Landing on Lake George much more than Lake George Village. It is a nice little quiet town with some nice restaurants and some nice stores.

The Lake though is an absolutely beautiful 32 mile (50km) freshwater spring fed lake that is dotted with over 150 islands. Many are available for camping or having a picnic if you decide to rent a boat. There are plenty of boat rentals around Bolton Landing. There are tour boats of the lake as well - the Mohican Paradise Bay cruise (from Lake George Village) or the dinner cruise on the Morgan (the boat owned by the Sagamore hotel in Bolton) I believe give the best tours of the lake.

If you are interested in American History you might like to see Fort Ticonderoga - it is considered the first victor in the American Revolutionary War.

There are also white water rapid rides as well - I believe at the time you will be here the rivers are quite tame but would still be enjoyable.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do and see

I forgot to mention golfing and fishing. There are plenty of nice golfing spots throughout the Adirondacks. Fishing is also very popular. Pick a body of water and someone will be fishing.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do and see

The small town of Wilmington, NY offers reasonably-priced motels, places to eat, and is the home of Whiteface Mt., which offers hiking, mountain bike runs and gondola rides, as well as a highway to drive to the top. It also has a public beach, and High Falls Gorge. If you're bringing children, Santa's Workshop (a theme park since the mid-1940's) is a place to go.

It's not far from the AuSable Chasm, and is 12 miles from Lake Placid, which offers great restaurant, tours of the Olympic venues.

Wilmington is peaceful and friendly.

Try website: whitefaceny.com

5. Re: Things to do and see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 09:25