We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

Davie,Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

I am planning a trip to Saratoga Springs Racing Track and Horse racing museum and also want to see some of the Adirondacks. I will be traveling alone, renting a car. I am not interested in hiking, etc. but would be interested in site seeing tours, historic places, etc.

Budget wise - I understand Saratoga Spr is expensive & Lake George area is more reasonable but "touristy". I'd like to spend no more than $2-3,000 for the entire trip. Total # days - 6 or 7.

Hope someone has some suggestions. Thanks.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

Are you saying that aside from your stay in Saratoga Springs that you have 6 to 7 days to spend in the Adirondacks?

Since you are not into hiking, I would suggest that you make a trip to Lake Placid. Still touristy but you would be in the high peaks and would experience some beautiful scenery.

Lake Placid has many wonderful hotels, restaurants and you would probably enjoy a drive up Whiteface mountain which, on a clear day, has great views. You can tour the Olympic venues at Lake Placid and they even provide a ride down the bobsled run. As far as historic sites go, John Brown's homestead is near Lake Placid and Fort Ticonderoga is near Lake George.

The ADIRONDACK MUSEUM in Blue Mountain Lake is also a great place to visit. Tupper Lake has a new natural history museum that I hear is very nice but I have yet to see it.

Davie,Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

Thank you. I did forget to mention that I was planning on goin in July, if that makes a difference. The total # of days, including Saratoga Springs is about 6 days; so I guess about 4 days for the Adirondacks. Would I still have time to get to Lake Placid?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

Another interesting venue to visit are the Great Camps. Sagamore is near Raquette Lake and White Pine is near Paul Smith's College (north of Saranac Lake village). Both of these are worthwhile.

I agree with the endorsement of the Adirondack Museum.

If you are into art, there is a great collection at the museum in Glens Falls (near Saratoga).

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

I also agree with the Adirondack Museum.

Fort Ticonderoga is also very nice, lots of history. I enjoyed the somewhat scenic drive along Lake George. Take the boat ride on the lake.

Arlington, MA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

If you're going to be there in the beginning of July, that's when the Lake Placid Horse Shows will be going on. (I see you're a fellow horse lover!)

4 days is definitely enough time to make up to Lake Placid and the High Peaks region - it's only about an hour and half drive from Saratoga. I'd suggest coming up the back roads (route 30) through Blue Mountain Lake (the Adirondack Museum that someone mentioned earlier is a GREAT place to spend a few hours), Long Lake, and Tupper Lake. It's a beautiful drive and not too much longer. The Wild Center in Tupper is another wonderful museum.

Lake Placid would be a great 'basecamp' for all sorts of activities for a few days. I know you said you're not interested in hiking, but my husband and I write about all sorts of different activities in the Adirondacks on our website: www.townsandtrails.com. Hopefully you'll find some good ideas!

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

Absolutely--Saratoga is less than 2 hours from Lake Placid.

7. Re: Ideas for few days in Adirondacks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 05:15