We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Darts camp ( late 1930's)

I was looking at old stuff today..I have the reservations letters from when my parents took week long vacations to Dart's Camp in the Adirondacks...From the maps it looks like it was northwest of Eagle Bay and Big Moose. I have advertising flyers, and post cards from the resort. What if anything is still there? Does anyone remember the place?

We have often been to Old Forge and stayed at Pine Knoll, the Narrows, the Homestead, and as a child a place called Birchwood. I guess I never thought about trying to find this place, if it still exists.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Here ya go...

History of Camp Gorham (Darts Camp)

YMCA of Greater Rochester Camp Gorham is located on Darts Lake near Big Moose, New York. Big Moose Lake runs into Darts Lake through the North Branch of the Moose River,which runs from Darts Lake into Rondaxe Lake.

Darts Lake was originally known as the North Branch of Second Lake as "Bill" Dart began to settle in and establish a hunting camp. He acquired his first title to the property as a squatter. In 1872, William Henry Dart came into the "Northwoods," as the Adirondacks were then called, to try to earn a living as a trapper. He would trap in the winters and guide (guides were called "Sports" in those days) during the other seasons.

In 1879, Bill built a small one-room cabin on the north shore of "Second Lake", which he chose as his base camp. It was a log cabin with cedar bark. That original cabin is the main section of what is now Gorham Cottage. As his guide business grew, the need for more living space became apparent. In 1887, he built a large two-story cabin for a family from Boston. It had two large porches (one on each level). It eventually became called Double Decker Cottage. It was located in the space between Hemlock and Laurel Cottage. At first the cottages were named after the people they were built for. Eventually, most were named after trees.

1888 was an important year in the history of Darts Lake. Bill Dart married Mary Kronmilleron July 9th. Mary moved to Darts Lake and not only became his wife, but also his business partner. They began building additional cottages for families who came and stayed for the summer. This was the beginning of Darts Camp Resort.

Supplies and people came into Darts by boat and foot: by boat from Old Forge to Fourth Lake, by foot to Bubs Lake, then to Moss Lake and over the end of "South" Mountain to Darts. In 1892, the railroad came into the area. Guests could come by train to Big Moose Station. They would then take a wagon to the north end of Big Moose Lake and a boat to Darts Landing (now called Higby Landing) at the south end of Big Moose Lake. From there they would again take a wagon to Darts Camp. Also in 1892, Bill purchased the deed for the rest of the land all the way around the lake from Dr. Seward Webb.

In 1896, Mary and Bill's daughter Emma L. Dart (Lesure) was born. As business grew, more and more cottages and buildings were constructed. The first children's camp was run in 1927 as a boys' camp. This was run in conjunction with the resort. The boys' camp ceased operation in 1933. The Dart Family (including daughter Emma and her husband) continued to operate Darts Camp Resort through the end of the summer on 1943. Mary Dart passed away on March 17, 1932. Bill Dart passed away in July 19 1934. Emma Dart Lesure and her family ran the resort after her parent's deaths. In 1943, George Longstaff purchased Darts Camp and ran it as the Darts Lake Club.

In 1960, it was sold to the YMCA of Greater Rochester. Jack Gorham, a resident of Rochester, played a prominent role in making it possible for the YMCA to make the purchase. Camp Gorham was named in honor of Jack and his wife, Irene. During the summer of 1961, a group of young men that were called "Campmakers," led by "Barney" Barnum, the first camp Ranger, and Weldon Hestor, Director of Camping Services, worked to prepare the property and facilities for use as a boys' camp.

The summer of 1962 marked the first season for Camp Gorham of the YMCA of Greater Rochester. In 1963, a Family Camp program was started during the week following the conclusion of the boys' camp. In 1976, girls became a part of the full summer camp program. Youth and families can now enjoy this beautiful Adirondack camp setting year-round.

Written by John Steinbrenner - Former Camp Director of Camp Gorham

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

The letters which I have a re signed by John WT Lesure, Manager. Assume that Emma was probably his wife!

Guinda
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Hello -- my great grandfather William Dart founded Dart's Camp in 1889 as a hunting camp and he and his wife turned it into a family camp. My grandmother, Emma Dart, and her husband William Lesure took over the running of the camp eventually and kept it going until the mid 40's. My dad and his brothers were raised there. If you have any memorabilia you could share, I'm sure all of our family would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Nancy Lesure

Salisbury MD
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

I don't know how to get anything to you. Need help!

Mary Lynn Deckert

Guinda
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't really lend itself to interpersonal communication but if you would like to send a message to me directly you can use the "contact" form at http://capayvalley.com/contact.cfm and I will get it. I am the owner of that site. Thanks! Nancy

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

There is a Private Message option on this site. When in full site, not mobile mode, look under the screen names on the replies and click on one. At the next screen, look on the left side.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 03:22
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Click on the name of the person (in blue) you want to send message to. Then on the left side find "Send Message"

Glenville, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

I enjoyed reading about Dart's Camp. My mother had several post cards from there as well as an old small pillow cover. I have framed the pillow cover and will do the same with post cards. Now I have some history to go with them. Thank you.

Utica, New York
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

Hi; My grandmother and her mother used to work at Dart's Camp back in the 1890s. I have a picture of them along with some of the other women that they worked with standing on the front porch of the main lodge. It had to be taken around the late 1800s. I will gladly send this to you. I would appreciate any old pictures of the lodge that you may have. You can contact me at; TMootz1@gmail.com. Take care!

10. Re: Darts camp ( late 1930's)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:15