We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

Hello, we are a 27 year old couple looking to getaway from New York city for the weekend. I am looking at both Lake Placid (5 hr drive) and Lake George (3.5 hr drive). From what I've read online, LG appears to be like Niagara Falls; cheesy, touristy and full of kids. I would prefer a quieter, more serene place with better sights - would that be Lake Placid? Is it worth the extra 1.5 - 2 hour drive?

Which has better restaurants? Which has more to do in terms of activities such as boating/fishing?

Also does anyone have any experience staying at the Stagecoach Inn or the Placid Bay Inn in Lake Placid. Would these B&B's be better than staying at say "Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn? Alternatively, a place called Wildwood Inn looks beautiful but seems to be a family oriented place.

Any suggestions would help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,053 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

Heavens- driving to the Adirondacks for a weekend? Maybe you want to consider the Berkshires (Great Barrington) or Catskills (Woodstock) or even the Hudson Valley. I don't like Lake George myself, love Lake Placid but that seems way too far for you.

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

thanks for the suggestions... have looked into them and am now super confused as to where to go urrrrgghhh.

We can make it 3 nights by including thursday. Basically want a chilled out romantic place with scenic views and accessible water such a lake where we can go canoeing or kayaking or boating etc...

anyone?

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

Perhaps try staying at Bolton Landing. The village is on the lake, about 15-20 minutes north of Lake George Village. Much more low key. Plenty of places to rent boats. I haven't stayed there, but we've walked around the town, had lunch, went shopping.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,053 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

Water and Scenic views- yeah- I have stayed at the Sagamore up at Bolton landing. Not my taste but it seems to fit everything you are looking for without the extra two hours drive to Lake Placid. Lake George is actually quite lovely, its the Village that is not so romantic.

Catskills have some water but the places to stay are a bit aged.

My concern is that the drive back from way north can kill a romantic weekend pretty fast. Sunday nights on the Thruway are NOT romantic.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

You might want to look into Friend's Lake Inn or the Garnet Hill Lodge. If you stay in Bolton Landing try the Boathouse b&b or in LG try the Inn at Erlowest. The reason I suggest the first 2 options is those lakes are better suited for canoes and kayaks. Lots of great hikes in the area, too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,053 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

Ooh. I love Garnet Hill and Friends Lake Inn. I like the hikes from Garnet Hill and the lake better though.

7. Re: Lake George or Lake Placid for the weekend for young couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 23:16