We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking with kids in the southeast

Belchertown...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
backpacking with kids in the southeast

we are looking for a nice place to go backpacking with the kids near a lake or pond in the southeast adirondacks

Edited: 06 September 2011, 20:19
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,056 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

Look at the West Canada Lakes wilderness areaif that is east enough for you. You can plan some loops or just go in and stay at one of the campsites. It will be very soggy right now, so depends when you are planning to go. The Northville Lake Placid trail goes through it.

Mentioned in this post
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

I was going to mention the West Canada Lakes area too - it's one of my favorite backpacking areas. This isn't very southern, but Pharoah Mtn is a great place for backpacking too.

You can also check out adkhighpeaks.com for more info. A lot of knowledgeable folks on that board.

Belchertown...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

sounds like you do alot of backpacking, we usually go to vermont, but they are under water, so we thought we would venture to the daks. I would love to hear more trip ideas for the daks, we are from western mass so we want to try to stick to the southern part, for an easy overnight.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

The eastern high peaks sustained a lot of damage from Irene, so anything you might do there, check the status of the trails and roads first. However, in my opinion, the high peaks isn't as suitable for backpacking as other areas of the ADKs.

We were just in the Indian Lake/Blue Mountain lake region this past weekend (car camping, no backpacking) and everything there is fine. The Northville Placid trail goes through there and there are additional trails and leantos if you wanted to do an overnighter. But that isn't very southern. We haven't done too much in the southern areas.

Do you have maps or a guide book?

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

What about Sleeping Beauty or Buck from an eastern approach? There are campsites and some lean-tos in that area, as well as a beautiful hike to Shelving Rock Falls. I don't know what shape the dirt road (Hog Town Road?) to the trailhead is in, though.

Mentioned in this post
Shelving Rock Falls
Shelving Rock Falls
140 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Belchertown...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

I have 50 hikes in the adirondacks, there looks like there are lots of options, but its always good to get advice from others that have been there.

Do you know anything about Inman pond? Bennett Lake? we are looking for short distance less than 3mi to a pond/lake with the kids 5 & 6.

Belchertown...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

I have 50 hikes in the adirondacks, there looks like there are lots of options, but its always good to get advice from others that have been there.

Do you know anything about Inman pond? Bennett Lake? we are looking for short distance less than 3mi to a pond/lake with the kids 5 & 6.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

I hiked Inman Pond about 10 years ago. It was lovely, and very suitable for kids. I also highly recommend Shelving Rock Falls for kids. If you go to the falls, be sure to hike down to the bay and Lake George.

Mentioned in this post
Shelving Rock Falls
Shelving Rock Falls
140 Reviews
Lake George, NY
9. Re: backpacking with kids in the southeast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 02:16