We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

hello,

we are planning to stay at the adirondack area for 3 days from 30 september. we would like to stay 3 nights at the same place, and found a nice one at long lake.

my question is if you think that the location is good for exploring the area in generally, and specificly concidering the fall foliage issue.

hope you can help me decide,

thanks a lot,

zoee.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

I think Long Lake is suitable. You can a day trip to the high peaks, Lake Placid area. Your close to Blue Mountain and I would suggest a day at the Adirondack Museum (if you are into that type of think). What are you interested in doing? Let us know and perhaps you'll get some responses from the locals.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

thanks for your answer. we mostly like to drive scenic roads, make short walks, having nice picnics in beautiful places. in addition we are really excited about the fall foliage, so please let me know if you have any tips for increasing the chance to see it.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

Aside from the time of year, your best chance to see the fall foliage is to take drives into the high peaks (Lake Placid, Keane area). The higher elevations will turn first. I haven't driven up there in years. I tend to stay in the central part of the park.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

You might want to take the memorial highway up Whiteface Mtn (Lake Placid). If the weather is nice, you can get some beautiful views. Google Whiteface Mtn.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

Long Lake area is beautiful, IMO, but I wouldn't stay in Long Lake for visiting High Peaks Region. It is about 50 miles and at least one hour drive from Long Lake to Lake Placid. Consider staying in Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Wilmington, Keene, Keene Valley. Make sure of correct spelling when you google these places

ohio
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

I agree with all of these posts. Long Lake is beautiful but you'll find more to do in LP, Saranac Lake, and Whiteface area. Be sure to take the Memorial Highway to top of Whiteface which is in Wilmington, a short drive from Whiteface ski area. Best view of Fall foliage from the top of the mountain but you can also ride the chairlift which doesn't go all the way to the top but also has great views. Long Lake has sea plane rides which will give you great views also. The bottom line is that beautiful fall foliage will surround you no matter where you are.

7. Re: 3 days at the adirondack - i need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:16