We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

Hi...we are trying to decide on our summer vacation and are considering the Adrirondack region...Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, etc... We will be flying into NYC and spending a few days there and will have about 5 full days to spend in the "country". We love the outdoors, scenery and wildlife. My son would like to visit the water park in Lake George which I think we could do on the way up from the city. We like to rent cabins or condos so I will be looking on VRBO but I would like some suggestions as to locations and activities. I saw Gold Medal adventure posted on another topic and it looks like fun but generally we are into fishing, hiking, kayaking, white water rafting, exploring the wilderness of the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Things like specific trails and the towns they are close to, fishing charters or guides, wildlife viewing possibilities, etc...Thanks so much...we always have wonderful trips thanks to the help of the TripAdvisor forums! :o)

Titusville, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

We are also looking at going to the Adirondacks next summer. Hope you don't mind me hopping onto your thread and watching for replies..

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

Sure...Its been up there a while and no info yet! :o)

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

It may be difficult to find a rental for less than a week in the summer. The Lake George area is spectacular, and will provide opportunities for day trips to Lake Placid and Saranac Lake. You can search for cabins at reserveamerica.com or adkbyowner.com

The Adirondack Mountains encompass a very wide area, and offer both touristy areas and remote natural areas. It is a very big task to try to advise you without many specifics. Some very nice options for a family are: Silver Bay YMCA (remote area of Lake George), and Lake Vanare (close to Lake George Village and touristy stuff) Here is an example in Lake Vanare: http://lakesidecottageny.com

These are just some suggestions. There are literally hundreds of places to choose from.

One suggestion for an activity that is not to miss: Adirondack Extreme

http://www.adirondackextreme.com

Also, if renting a boat for the day is an option, I would highly recommend it. You can reach some very beautiful and remote public islands easily from Bolton Landing.

Good luck. Please let us know if you have narrowed your search, and we can try to offer some additional help.

Brownstown, MI
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

Being an Adirondack Native from the Lake Placid region, I'll gladly focus on that. As you are into hiking, there is no better place to be. The Adirondacks, particularly the High Peaks around Lake Placid, are riff with hiking trails for all levels of experience. Some are day trips, others have to be done overnight. You could spend the week doing nothing but hiking. Plenty of guides available to purchase to assist you in the hiking department. A site called AdirondackAlmanac is a good place to look as is adirondack.net. Both will lead you elsewhere with more suggestions.

Kayaking is also very popular in the area. Lots of flat water if that's your choice or you can kick it up a notch and get some class II, III and higher on some of the rivers. Kayaks are available to rent but might get a bit pricey if you don't have your own and as you are flying, you'll be renting. Just something to think about. St Regis Canoe in Saranac Lake is a good resource for both canoes and kayaks and the owner wrote a paddle guide you can purchase which is excellent. We have it along with its companion guide. There is also paddling on Lake Champlain and an organization called the Lake Champlain Committee has a great, and very detailed, paddle guide available for sale. Lake Champlain can be deadly so you might want to consider this guide if you are going to venture onto Lake Champlain.

For rentals of homes, you can check out a site I believe is called "adirondackbyowner" or along those lines. Google will send you there, I'm sure. The site updates monthly and has both sales and rentals. It would nice to find a place that is on a lake or river with kayaks or canoes available. :)

Hope this helps you a bit and enjoy your stay.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 15:12
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

That is great info...thanks so much. We are very much looking forward to our trip and it seems that there is no shortage of things to keep us occupied! :o)

6. Re: gathering info for a summer 2013 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:18