We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Adirondack Mountains in Aug 2014. We have 5 days in the area and would like to know of a good place to stay that is relatively central. We realise that it's a lage area to explore so would like to be in the most cenhtral location that will allow us to see as much as possible without having to drive too much

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Jane-

Probably the most central location is Blue Mountain Lake or Newcomb, however, those locations are a 1-2 hour drive to most hikes is the High Peaks. Also, neither location will offer much in the way of restaurants or shopping. I would suggest staying in the Lake Placid region, especially if your itinerary includes hiking.

jkelly

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I agree with the above. Lake Placid is the best choice.

http://www.lakeplacid.com/

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

I'll be the contrarian and disagree that Lake Placid is the best choice if you want a true Adirondack experience. If you want to stay in a crowded, expensive, disproportionately upscale town then LP is your place. The Blue Mountain Lake area is much more serene and representative is what the Adirondacks are about. If you want to be closer to the High Peaks, consider the Keene/Keene Valley area.

4. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:19