We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Hotel suggestion!

Massena, New York
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Need Hotel suggestion!

Hi, my husband and I will be staying in Albany overnight in mid-June, we are taking a train to NYC the next morning early so we would like a hotel that is easy access to the Amtrak station. Any suggestions?

Delmar, NY
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
214 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

The Amtrak station is in Rensselaer, right across the Hudson from downtown Albany. Hotel suggestions include the Hampton Inn and Suites Albany Downtown, 74 State (a Clarion Collection boutique hotel), and the Crowne Plaza. There's also a new Holiday Inn Express in what used to be a ratty Red Carpet Inn; I can't attest to the quality now, but it looks a whole lot better than it used to, and it seems to be garnering some good TA reviews.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

I have stayed at the first three that Del recommends and they are all good. Check prices, sometimes 74 State is a better bargain than the Hampton Inn.

It took me a minute to figure out where the Holiday Inn Express might be. I guess it is, what used to be the old hotel by the bus station? That place used to be a hole, I'm glad they renovated it.

Delmar, NY
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
214 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

If I had my druthers, I'd opt for either 74 State or the Hampton Inn and Suites. The Crowne Plaza is fairly average for a higher-end hotel and their food is mediocre at best.

Yes, the HI Express is that place. In the years that I've lived here, it's gone through several incarnations, most recently as a Ramada and then a Red Carpet Inn. Calling it a 'hole' was probably being kind. It's a lot better looking now, and although I haven't stayed there, the initial reviews on TA are pretty favorable.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

The basic differences between 74 State and the Hampton Inn are:

- restaurants; Hampton Inn has Yono's, one of the finest restaurants in town with a famous award-winning chef. Although, the restaurant in 74 State is also good and the upstairs lounge has a nice view of downtown (I actually like 74 State's lounge better than the lounge in the Hampton, aka. DP's).

- parking; Hampton Inn has it's own lot out back. Whereas 74 State does not; the valet will need to run for your car in the multi-level parking lot half a block away. If for some reason you are in a real hurry, and there's people ahead of you at the valet and don't call ahead, you might be waiting a few minutes.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

Avoid the Crowne Plaza.

Massena, New York
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

Thank you! I just booked at the Hampton Inn!

thanks again!

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

If you do eat at Yono's while staying at the Hampton Inn, go for the 'Ristaffel'. It's a 5-course meal for a mere $49 dollars. We just had it again (for about the 100th time?) last week, still wonderful as ever. Our dinner at Yono's cost less than half of what we paid for dinner at the newest fancy restaurant in town (Filet 7 West) 2 weeks ago. We like Yono's better than the new competition.

7. Re: Need Hotel suggestion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 06:29