We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York, Washington or Dallas ???

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
New York, Washington or Dallas ???

Hello Folks,

My Wife and I are planning a special Birthday celebrataion to the U.S.A later this year. Here is my dilemma:(

Wifey wants to go to New York, I would like to do Dallas, as Ive always promised myself that I would visit Dealey Plaza, the grassy knoll and sixth floor museum etc.

Washington has also come into the frame, as I would love to visit some of its fantastic memorials and statues. Especially Iwo Jima.

It goes without saying that I would also like to visit NYs great sites, especially Ground Zero.

Who if anyone, can select number one of all three choices, for this year?

We dont have the money for a two or three centre holiday and would rather splash out on one special stay. We plan to stay for 5 - 6 days and do not want to hire a car.

We are both in our late thirties and after a hard days sight seeing, would like to relax and unwind with a nice drink and a smoke, accompanied by some great food. We gather that NY is totally anti smoking?

Any ideas folks?

Your wisdom and knowledge would be greatly accepted !!!

In anticipation of your responses - Gary.

Many Thanks.

New York State Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums, Nature & Wildlife Areas
USS Slater DE-766
History Museums, Ships
albany, ny
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York, Washington or Dallas ???

gary, i think you would be much better off posting this question in the New York City forum. As you can see this forum isnt very active. Albany, NY as much as i love it is not really a tourist mecca. good luck

boston, ma
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York, Washington or Dallas ???

Dear Ruddstar,

I think you should decide based on what time of year you will be traveling. If you choose Christmas time, New York can't be beat. Washington Dc is best in the spring during Cherry blossom season. Dallas is great most of the year, if you like the temps a bit warmer. I went to DC twice in two years and I love it each time. There are a lot of free attractions you just can't get anywhere else. Dallas is a fun, youthful city and has liberal views on smoking. NY city is more strict. The MELROSE hotel is in both DC and Dallas, a great hotel and good service. I hope whatever you decide, you have a good time.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New York, Washington or Dallas ???

Hiya Gary~

Can you get an "open jaw" ticket, where you fly into, say, New York, but then depart from Washington? That way you can spend a couple of days in NY, then catch the train or bus to DC, spend a few days here and then leave from a DC airport back to the UK.

Even though I now live in DC, if the choice is between NY and DC, take NY. You can never go wrong in NY.

DC is great if you like museums. We have the Smithsonian Institutions here in DC, about 12 of them: Air and Space, Hirshorn Modern Art, Freer Asian etc, and THEY ARE ALL FREE!

I'm afraid I know nothing of Texas so I can't comment on that. Look into that "open jaw" ticket thing.

Cheers,

Dev