We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goint to Albany for September 11-13th weekend

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Goint to Albany for September 11-13th weekend

I will be in the Albany area (actually in Niskayuna) from Sept. 11th to Sept 13th. I will be at a retreat house, but am arriving early Friday and will have the entire afternoon free and also Sunday afternoon for sightseeing. Any suggestions regarding things to see? I enjoy historic homes and museums. I have been to Albany before and have seen about all the main sites there, so want to concentrate on other things, perhaps more near the Niskayuna area since I will not have a lot of time, only a few hours for those two days. I'm getting a rental car so travel is no problem. I'll be traveling alone. Also, any suggestions for some good lunch or dinner places in the area (not expensive, I like good old-fashioned home cooking). I read the Shaker Historic Site will have an arts and crafts festival that weekend, is that worth visiting?

New York State Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums, Nature & Wildlife Areas
USS Slater DE-766
History Museums, Ships
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goint to Albany for September 11-13th weekend

What a perfect weekend for you! This is Heritage Weekend and many historic sites are offering discounted or free admission. Here is the linky for a complete list:

http://www.heritageweekend.org/

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goint to Albany for September 11-13th weekend

I was going to suggest going west to Cooperstown or north to Saratoga.

But to be honest, that link that is posted above is exactly what you are looking for.

There are a lot of great restaurants in Schenectady. The downtown area has had kind of a revitalization.

One of our favorites is:

www.aperitivobistro.com

426 State Street

Schenectady, NY 12305

(518) 579-3371

Another one that is more of a pub:

www.pinheadsusans.com

38-40 N Broadway

Schenectady, NY 12305-2902

(518) 346-6431

3. Re: Goint to Albany for September 11-13th weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 05:18