We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

Which Albany hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

I'm planning a trip for the weekend to Manhattan. bring the wife and child (5 year old)

Amtrak from Albany $400 bit too much. so wondering if driving in and paying parking near the hotel or parkign outside NYC and taking a train in is better. ANyone here a regular of doing weekend trips into Manhattan? Going November 13

rochester ny
Level Contributor
122 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

That sounds like an awful high fare for Amtrak, Albany to NYC. 2 of us looking into going from Roch to NYC and AAA rate for us is $194 at the end of Sept.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

Not sure where you are getting your prices. I just ran your trip on the Amtrak website and came up with a total cost of $180.

Your other options are to drive to Poughkeepsie and take Metro North in. Cheaper than paying for parking, but slow getting into the city.

Nothing really beats taking the train from Albany.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
429 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

I just priced it via Amtrak, leaving Nov 13 returng the 15th for 2 adults and 1 child. Came out to $255. It can be cheaper or higher depending on the selections, but that was for reasonable departure times. At $255, better to take the train than drive.

But if your destination is somewhere uptown [like Columbia Univ], driving in nonrush hour times might be okay. But lower Manhattan, take the train. Driving in NYC can be VERY unpleasant, you are GUARANTEED to get lost or delayed [unless you are really familiar with the city]; the train is much easier.

Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

thanks for the replies, I did reprice it and got qa similar amount, even looked into the MEtro North from Poughkeepsie!

Any difference with the trains? I'd rather pull into Grnad Central, never seen it before!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

There is a big difference in two trains. The Amtrak trains are more comfortable and quicker. The Metro North trains are more of a commuter train and built to fit as many people as possible. The Metro North trains also run slower and make more stops.

But arriving in Grand Central Terminal is very cool, Penn Station is a hole.

Good luck making a decision.

6. Re: Going to Manhattan, drive in or park and train it in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 05:18