We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

My wife and I are new to the area...and given the age of our boys (3 & 6) we think it might be a bit much to go downtown on July 4 and fight the crowds to see the fireworks. I've done some searching and seen some vague information about watching fireworks from somewhere across the river like Rensselaer...but really haven't found and details about exactly where the best viewing spots are. We're not concerned about being terribly close, as our youngest probably won't enjoy them if they are too loud...but I'm curious if its even worth finding a spot across the river or if we'll still fight crowds and traffic to do so. Our alternative is just see the fireworks following the Valleycats game on the 4th and 5th. Any suggestions would be great!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

I think staying out of downtown is probably a good idea. I have no idea about places to view the fireworks on the other side of the river, sorry.

Be warned that the Valleycats get a huge crowd for firework nights.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

For next year, viewing the fireworks from the East side of the river - best spot to go to is the Sports Grill in East Greenbush. Its a sports themed family restaurant with plenty of seating out on their patio (but you must get there early). You can also view the fireworks from the Holiday Inn Express which is next door to the Sports Grill - also get there early to get parking. You obviously won't be able to see the many ground fireworks (which are awesome) from across the river, BUT the crowd in Albany at the Empire State Plaza is NUTS and it will take you a good hour or so to get out of there due to major traffic congestion. Also, the Valley Cats have fireworks every week I believe on Friday - so you don't need to wait for July 4th. And I disagree that it gets very crowded there for fireworks night. I have been there many many times and was very comfortable. If you happen to be reading this before December 17, 2011 - there are fireworks in Albany around 5pm for the "Last 5K" race - Washington Park area.

Albany, New York
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

You can also get great views of the fireworks by sitting on the hill near the movie theater and Wal-Mart in East Greenbush!

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
373 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

Make a left off of Rt. 4 just North of 90 right after the hotel/ sports bar. The parking lot of HANYS/Seton Health Medical office/urgent care.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
430 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

I've been to the firewoks downtown several times. I'd disagree that the crowd is 'nuts'. Maybe there's a few more people than when there's just an evening concert on the museum steps. But it's really fine. I grew up in a large city, so my perspective is different. Downtown is easy to get out off and safe.

The traffic that leaves after the fireworks isn't that much different than the crowd that leaves a packed Times Union Center.

albany, ny
Level Contributor
88 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

I agree taking little kids downtown can be a little daunting for them. If you get to the museum steps early with lots to snack on and have games to play, you may make it to when the fireworks go off but I personally think it's too much work. For pre- teens and older, it's exciting. Lots of buzz and people watching with really good fireworks. Something to look forward too in the future, I'd say. Hope this helps

7. Re: Fireworks Viewing East of the River?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:47