We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albany in one day

Which Albany hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
136 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Albany in one day

My family and I would like to spend one day in Albany, in January. We would be leaving from NY. How can we get to Albany? Is a touristy place? Costs of transportation?

Worth it visiting the city (leaving from Manhattan)?

Thank you.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
372 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albany in one day

The best way, but most expensive, is by train from Penn Station. Cost varies, www.amtrak.com

Other options are several bus lines.

Not sure what you are looking for or are interested in. We have a number of good museums, historic sites.

January is not considered "prime tourist season". Is it with leaving the city? Depends entirely on what you want to do in both places!

Let us know specific questions

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albany in one day

I'm a big supporter of Albany, but I'm not sure I would leave NYC to come up here for a day. If you were headed through, sure. But for a family for the day, not sure.

If you decided you want to, we can help.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albany in one day

The NYS museum is well worth your time.

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
372 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albany in one day

Yes, it is, but it may not be worth their time if they are in Manhattan! i have tons of civic pride, but with all due respect I woud not trade MOMA for the State Museum......

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albany in one day

The State Capitol is also worth seeing if you really want to come up here and the train ride - even in January - is relaxing and enjoyable. There is plenty to do - all depends on your interest. You may want to head farther North to Saratoga Springs. Also, check out MegaBus - much better deal than Amtrak - just not as comfortable or scenic.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albany in one day

The OP stated that they wanted to come to Albany; I was simply responding to their query (which is the purpose of this forum).

Slingerlands, New...
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
372 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albany in one day

"Worth it visiting" was a sub question. It was this upon which my post was based.

8. Re: Albany in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17