We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

Newtown, CT
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

I will be in Albany in mid-July with my daughter for a lacrosse tournament. I was thinking of possibly going somewhere for 2 nights after to relax after. Somewhere with outdoor pool, maybe a bit of shopping, about 30-60 minutes away. I was looking at Saratoga Springs, but can't seem to find a hotel that is appealing. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

Did you consider the Gideon Putnam? Another (more budget friendly) option is the Grand Union Hotel.

Track season begins July 18th this year, so you should avoid visiting after that date.

If budget is not a concern, you should consider a trip to the Sagamore. http://www.thesagamore.com

Have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
The Gideon Putnam
The Gideon Putnam
1,231 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

Wait…why avoid Saratoga after track season begins? Saratoga is more fun when it’s track season. Actually, many would say Satatoga is *only* fun when its track season. I can’t think of a more unique and fun place for a teenager to check out. The racetrack is unique and can be a really fun place.

To the north of Albany, as already mentioned Saratoga and Lake George are the choices within 60 minutes. Although at 60 minutes, you’d be limited to the southern park of the Lake. Just curious, what do you mean by you couldn’t find a hotel in Saratoga that appealed to you; not nice enough? Or, within a particular budget?

To the south, I’d recommend Mohonk. See: www.mohonk.com

To the east, I suggest Williamstown with its world class theatre [Williamstown Arts Festival], Clark art museum, and other wonderful cultural activities only available in the summer. Maybe the Williams College lax camp might fit your daughter’s schedule; dunno when that camp is, I can’t seem to find the 2014 dates.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Williamstown
Williamstown
Berkshires, MA
Williams College
Williams College
106 Reviews
Williamstown, MA
Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

I think the issue with Saratoga during track season is the hotel rates and availability.

But I do think that Saratoga fits the bill. Am also not sure what you mean by "appealing". I have stayed in the Holiday Inn and Saratoga and found it appealing.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

IT and TPXB-

I agree that Saratoga during track season is a great place to be. I was thinking that the OP will have trouble finding a place for only 2 nights in season. Also, I am thinking that the OP could not find anywhere appealing due to their outdoor pool criteria. My first instinct was to suggest the Saratoga Arms or Hampton Inn, but they both don't meet that criteria.

Jill- let us know if we are on the right track so that we can help.

jkelly

Mentioned in this post
Saratoga Arms
Saratoga Arms
651 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

In terms of an 'outdoor' pool, that wouldn't seem necessary if the destination is Lake George, with one of the cleanest lakes in the country. The other lakes as clean would be Lake Tahoe and Skeneateles. In Saratoga, I'd highly recommend Victoria Pool over any other pool in the vicinity. In my opinion the Victoria Pool makes most 'hotel' pools redundant. More info here:

saratoga.com/waters-of-saratoga/saratoga_poo…

Although, that url doesn't have any pictures of the Victoria Pool. I'm sure the OP can just do an internet search for images.

Mentioned in this post
Newtown, CT
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

Thanks for all the replies! I did consider the Gideon Putnam, but their age requirement for the spa is 16 and my daughter will be 14, so it seems kind of waste to spend the $$ there if we can't use spa. The Holiday Inn appears to be an option. I really wanted an outdoor pool with hopes that it will be warm and sunny.

Next question, can my daughter go to the race track when they are racing? Do they allow minors? it appears we will be there at the beginning of race season, her lax tournament is July 17/18.

Mentioned in this post
The Gideon Putnam
The Gideon Putnam
1,231 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

Yes, children are welcome at the track! They just can't place a bet, obviously. Opening Weekend will be quite busy, but if you go with the right expectations, you will have fun. Here is a listing of events from Opening Weekend 2013 (you can expect a similar schedule in 2014): saratoga.com/event/…

Holiday Inn is a reasonable walk to the Nelson Avenue entrance of the track.

You can spend some time at the Victoria Pool (as IT suggested above) no matter which hotel you stay at. It really is quite lovely and relaxing there. Here's a photo: …timesunion.com/saratogaseen/take-a-dip/198/ The Grand Union Motel http://www.grandunionmotel.com , the Springs Motel http://www.springsmotel.com , and the Adirondack Inn http://www.adirondackinn.com all have outdoor pools. I am sure there are others. These are just the ones I can think of at the moment.

I would also suggest breakfast at the track one morning to watch the horses work out.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 02:40
Mentioned in this post
Grand Union Motel
Grand Union Motel
6 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
The Springs Motel
The Springs Motel
264 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

If you do go to the track, I suggest you decide beforehand how to spend your time...where to sit and watch the races. There's an array of options, at different levels of need/comfort/price.

You could reserve a table, which is yours for the entire afternoon:

www.nyra.com/saratoga/information/dining/

Other options:

www.nyra.com/saratoga/information/tickets/

With a young teenager/s, I'd suggest a table at the 'Porch'. Easier access to the rest of the facility.

East Greenbush, New...
Level Contributor
852 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

The Fort William Henry Resort In Lake George has an outdoor pool and beautiful views of the Lake. There is outlet shopping nearby along with some shopping in the Village of Lake George itself. You can take boat rides on the lake, there are several miniature golf courses, arcades, etc. or you could just hang out at the resort itself. It's only a half hour drive from Saratoga so you could still visit the race track, shopping and restaurants in Saratoga, too.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Relax about 1 hour away??

The Holiday Inn in Lake George also has an outdoor pool. In fact, many of the hotels/motels in Lake George have outdoor pools. If you are going to say in Saratgoa during track season be ready for some outrageous rates.

Mentioned in this post