We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

Which Busan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA/Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

We want to vist Korea (starting in Busan) in late June /July. estimated stay 2-3 weeks ,but longer if we like it (coming from Thailand ). I have German Passport ,my wife Thai Passport . It would be easiest for us to travel with a carrier such as Air Asa ,i which will allow to buy just a one way ticket . Then we can stay as long or short as we want to and buy another one weay to retuen.

Will we be able to enter the contry with a one way ticket or do we have to show return travel plans ?

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

This is not a legal answer, but in recent years I was never asked to write for a return flight on any entry document (I do remember that for some countries years ago) and was never asked to show a return ticket.

But, one maybe unnecessary advice is to make sure you and your Thai wife step up to the passport control together and perhaps also good if you can show husband/wife relationship. I hope countries are beyond suspicions these days, but you never know.

Do not overstay the number of days/date on the entry stamp

There is also a picture and finger prints taken now, but this is very quick.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

As you don't either of you need visas I can't see it being a problem.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

I work in Korea and usually enter the country on a one-way ticket. I am always asked at check-in (in the UK) how long I am staying and they always want me to point out the visa date etc in my passport to show I am entitled to enter the country on a one-way ticket.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,192 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

I just entered tonight and no one ever asked about a return ticket. It was all very simple.

USA/Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

Thanks for the comments ,still I am a bit uneasy . The immigration site tells that we can expect visa free entry (90 days )with a confirmed return ticket.

Would hate to arrive and refused to enter .

I guess the airlines would have to know ,since they would have the burden of shipping us back . AirAsia will let me buy a one way ??!

Any other experiences with one way ticket entry-and was there any problem with the lenght of the allowed visa free stay ?

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

Hi,

I am traveling to Korea in a few days 21.september, my return ticket is for 20.december. I am allowed to stay without visa for 30 days. So, my plan is to go to Japan on 19.october. I bought return ticket Korea-Japan-Korea.

Now I wonder....when I enter Korea on september 21st will/can they ask my return ticket from Korea when I come back from Japan on october 22? I can stay more 30 days...until 21 november.

When I enter Korea on 21st september I will buy ticket to Japan or some other country for november....November is far from now and I want to keep my options open.

My situation is a bit confusing....but I hope you guys understand :) or maybe someone had similar situation willing to share.

thanks.

USA/Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

Just an update . I did go with a return ticket (chickend out -but it was a better deal anyway ).

At Immigration nobody ever asked for a return tivcket , at departure in BKK nobody asked for nothing - so it seems , they are pretty cool about it .

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

I am going to Korea at the end of November 2012. I also read that Americans are allowed to stay 90 days without visa. If you plan to stay longer then 90 days then you can apply for a visa while in Korea. I was planning to buy a one way ticket also and was afraid the Korean airport would stop me and give me trouble for not having a round trip ticket.

My situation is a little different. I am going to marry my fiance (whom is a Korean citizen) when I arrive to Korea. Can I get a Korean Spousal Visa after getting married? I want to stay for a year...

9. Re: Entry to South Korea with one way ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:17