We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easier to carry Cash or credit card around?

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Easier to carry Cash or credit card around?

Hi, we will be travelling to Busan and Seoul on 6 Dec. may I ask how's the weather in Busan now? Is credit card generally accepted in Busan and Seoul? Can I use it to buy KTX or subway tickets? Is there any money changer in the shopping malls? I am just wondering how much cash to bring along and would appreciate your sharing of information.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
365 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easier to carry Cash or credit card around?

The weather in Korea is usually pretty mild in December, 3 to 10 degrees Celsius, during the day, and right at 0 at night. Occasionally there will be a Siberian express front and it will be - 10, but living there for 10 years it only did that twice in December. My advice is to buy a coat when you get there. One can find great deals on coats at the street markets, not department stores.

Many places still only take cash. You can buy KTX and Transport tickets with a credit card. The passes you buy for the subway work for buses too. You will see a lot more of Seoul if you are brave enough to take a bus. There are lots of cash machines, and most Family marts have 24 hour machines, but the machines at the banks in may not be available after 22:00, especially in smaller towns. Money changers are rare outside of the larger cities, but the local banks usually have someone who speaks enough English to help you. My big piece of advice if you want to travel around Korea buying a rail pass is a pretty good deal, but you MUST buy it outside of the country to get the deal. Search for Korean rail pass.

If you want to get off the beaten path, the east coast and Taebaek Mountains are stunning, and inexpensive compared to the big cities. This is the area that will host the 2018 Winter Olympics, so it is much easier to travel there than it was in the past. Suk Cho, Tae baek,, Kang-neung, Dong Hae City, and Sam Chuek are real Korea experiences. A big plus is the train goes to all of these places. One can get a bed and Breakfast "minbak" near the beach for 30-50,000 won. Lots of tourist Hotels can be had for 25,000-35,000 with a little negotiation.

South Korea
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easier to carry Cash or credit card around?

yeah. credit card is widely accepted in Busan and Seoul. (Most restaurants, convenient store, Supermarket(E-mart, Homeplus, Lotte Mart, etc.) and KTX ticket purchase)

But be sure to prepare cash when going kind of Market.

3. Re: Easier to carry Cash or credit card around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16