We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from busan to mokpo by rail?

Which Busan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
from busan to mokpo by rail?

I read somewhere on the internet that it is possible to do this by rail. I have pasted the info I found below.

Could anyone confirm the first option, namely a slow early morning train?

"Option 1: the direct route. Apparently there is a very early train in the morning once daily that does this route. It’s a slow train, but I dont mind that when I’m travelling, fun to see the country. I arrived at the station at 9am however, and it had already left. So check this out the night before if it interests you.

Option 2: KTX route. If you use the KTX system, the key is you have to actually change railway stations in Daejeon (from Daejeon to Seo Daejeon). That’s part of the reason that makes it so confusing, technically you can’t go KTX from Busan to Mokpo direct, since it’s not connected. But if you are happy to take a bus/taxi for a few kilometers to switch stations, then you can do it. And it’s better than going via Seoul."

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

korail.com/servlets/…

Option 3. direct bus from busan west bus terminal

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

thank you! In the meanwhile checking the option of a ferry from busan to jeju. Would the landscape and scenery on the bus /train along the south coast be worthwile and therefore be preferable to a ferry trip?

thanks again

Save Reply
3. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

Hello,

Can you guys help me to find out a way to get Mokpo from Seoul?How long and How much for each option?

Thank you very much!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

https:/…eng_index.jsp

kobus.co.kr/web/eng/02_service/service01.jsp

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

Seoul to Mokpo can be done by express bus or by KTX or by regular train. Express buses probably leave every hour or so from 6 am to late in the evening. Regular train takes maybe 6 hours or so, the KTX is more than twice the price but takes half the time. For a traveler, the KTX hasn't much "colour" - it moves so fast and has very few stops. It's almost entirely Korean salarymen and it's quiet as a library. Bus - quite cramped and highway scenery is pretty lousy in Korea - I'd suggest the medium/slow train like the Mugunghwa or Saemaeul trains. You'll see more realistic Korean life, won't be on the high-epeed rail corridor so you'll have better scenery, and slow enough to soak it up.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
195 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

Busan to Mokpo by train along the south coast is still somewhat of an adventure - that line was only recently finally electrified. I rode it about 6 or 7 years ago and I kid you not, it took ALL Day -- like 8 hours! But I believe they sped up the tracks a bit so now it's a bit faster but not much. There might be only one or two trains plying this route per day, so check the schedule in advance at Korail.com. But don't go up to Daejeon and double back! not necessary. The Busan-Mokpo coastal train route is a great way to see some of Korea's most rural backwater (and relatively poor) regions.

7. Re: from busan to mokpo by rail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 07:15