We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Induruwa

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Induruwa

Hi

I am a 67 year old, well travelled, single woman on a very restricted income in need of bright light and warmth. I have found a really good all inclusive deal with no single supplement at Emerald Bay Hotel for the second half of June during the monsoon which must be why it is so cheap. Reviews for this hotel are mixed but I like the fact that it is small and in a relatively untouristy location though there are comments about the noise from road and rail traffic.

Can anyone tell me if the rain will be endless or just tropical downpours with sun either side. I have never been good at just loafing around and am keen to explore. Has anyone taken the train south to Galle or smaller stations en route and how easy is this? Will I be pestered? Can I go walking along the beach or inland? The transfer time is 3/4 hours on top of a 10.5 hour flight. Is it silly to contempleate this location when I can pick up a similar deal at the very nig Brown's Beach Hotel at Negombo, only 20 mins from the airport. Is it possible to get out and about to explore from there?

All advice and information will be welcomed. Due to severe financial constraints, this may have to be my last big adventure.

Thanks

Noreena

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Induruwa

Hi passwell,

Good for you,

Unless you are very unlucky, you won't have too much rain.

Obviously, Sri Laka is the same as anywhere else and weather prediction can not be accurate.

I've visited many times during the south west monsoon season. In all those trips, I've only had one day when it rained for most of the day. The usual thing, is bright sunny mornings and early afternoon, then quite often but not always, a good downpour , for maybe an hour during the afternoon and then the sun returns.

Many days have seen no rain at all.

There's no guarantee on that but it's my experience.

I hope it works that way for you.

Regarding the location.

I don't know the Emerald hotel or where it is. I can tell you, if you enjoy strolling arond, it's quite a long walk from Browns beach in Negombo before you get into the countryside. The beach is there but walking on sand can be hard work and there's not much variety.

If the Emerald is south of Colombo, then I'd say, go there. Reason is, there's so many places you can get to with a train ride down the west coast.

Trains are cheap and easy as long as you avoid the crush at peak times. If you're south of Colombo it's easy to get the train to places such as Ambalangoda to see the mask carvers shops, Hikkaduwa , for the glass botom boats around the reef sheltered bay, the turtle hatcheries, Galle and the Dutch fort. From Galle a short tuk tuk ride to Unawatuna or continue on the train further along to Weligama or as far as Matara.

South of Colombo once you get away from the sprawl of buildings, it's easy to stroll just a few metres inland , over the main coast road ( the Galle road ) and find yourself in great countryside.

There are other trips, as in the Elephant Orphanage , where you'd probably need car and driver for the day , which would be easier from Negombo but with the cheap train travel , more variation to the south.

Now someone will probably come on and tell me that the Emerald is north of Colombo .

Last trip or not, Sri Lanka is such a wonderful place with such lovely people that you'll love it where ever you are.

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,209 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Induruwa

Hi Noreena,

Worth the trip, and the 3-4 hours transit. Induruwa is a nice small sleepy village but with plenty of larger beach areas around, and an interesting countryside behind.

End of June is not so much Western Monsoon but Intermonsoon period, which has a slighlty worse prediction, but even then agree with Rod: enough chances for nice sunny mornings!

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Induruwa

Thanks so much. This is enormously helpful and firms my resolve. Found this website by chance and think it is terrific. If you think of anything else, please drop a line.

Cheers

Noreena

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Induruwa

Hi Noreena, i stayed at the Emerald Bay Hotel last May.

Nice hotel and very clean, food is not to bad, i enjoyed breakfast

which was bacon, egg etc.also try there coconut cake, its lovely.

The hotel grounds lead onto the beach which is seperated by a fence

to keep the locals out from selling.

The people are very very friendly.

There is not an awful lot to do and i wouldnt advise walking out on

the streets on your own.

Tuk tuks are pretty cheap for getting around .

Hotel is next to a busy road with traffic going day and night.

I dont no about the trains but they are also noisy.

Hope you have a fab time.

Julie

P.S weather in May was very hot and 100% humid

We had the odd shower but it was mainly sunny and May

is monsoon season

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Induruwa

Thanks for further info. Now dithering over Emerald Bay (how many rooms does it actually have?) in Induwura, the Neptune or Club Palm Garden (both 140 rooms so intimidating) in Beruwala, or Club Palm Bay (104 rooms) in Marawila north of Colombo and only a one hour transfer.

All these are all-inclusive from the Mercury Direct brochure and sound really good value. I have to watch my spending carefully.

Any opinion on what might be best welcomed. I do not want to be grounded in the hotel all the time but would like to get out and explore.

Thanks all

Noreena

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,209 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Induruwa

Hi again Noreena,

The only one I'd drop from the list is Marawila. It _is_ on a railway line (Colombo-Negombo-Puttalam) but more or less middle of nowhere. The others, south of Colombo, are a much better base for travelling around a bit. Beruwela is more touristy than Induruwa, the choice is yours...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Induruwa

Noreena,

I see you say you're new so thought i'd let you know about the hotel reviews on TA in case you haven't already stumbled across them.

Type in the name of the hotel in the search box and you can get reviews of all the hotels along with candid travellers pictures. They also have reviews on attractions and resturants.

Here's the links to the reviews of the hotels you mentioned...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g612379-d506916…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1109676-d61190…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1189172-d49662…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1189172-d12001…

Of course you must remember that some reviews shold be taken with a pinch of salt! ;o)

I can't help you personally as we stayed in a hotel not on your shortlist but I hope these links help.

Barbie

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Induruwa

The world is full of kind people. What stars you all are to come up with such helpful advice. Really appreciated.

Anything else you think of will be welcomed.

Cheers

Noreena

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Induruwa

Hi Noreena,

Well Induruwa is not much a touristy area like hikkaduwa or bentota. But it's ideal for a calm,relaxing holiday. It's about 3-4 hours drive away from Colombo airport. When you consider travelling by train its a much better place. Induruwa has a small station as well. To catch an express train you may have to go to Aluthgama or Ambalangoda because most of the express trains won't stop at induruwa.

Have a nice holiday.

Nishantha

London, UK
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Induruwa

Hi Noreena,

I hope you don't mind me replying to your question, I spent xmas and new year 2006/2007 at the emerald bay hotel, we arrived on xmas eve after a long flight only to find that there were only 4 other people at the hotel. The food was good for the first week then after that it completely went downhill, no other tourists were arriving and at one point there was just us to two and another couple for almost another week. A party of Germans who arrived complained no end to the rep & management, but to no avail. A few days before we came home (we were there for 3 wks) a single woman in her 60's arrived (also well travelled) and was constantly driven mad by the attention of the young Sri Lankan's who were looking for a wealthy western woman for marriage. At one point I found her crying on a sunbed, because she'd had enough of the attention. She had travelled all over the world on her own and obviously I was distressed and worried about leaving her there. But luckily another couple arrived, who were also extremely dissapointed with the hotel and I made arrangements with them to make sure she was okay.

Since coming home we have all kept in touch and she stayed with the other couple until the end of her holiday (she felt safe being around the other couple) this was a great relief to myself and my husband. If you have booked to go please be aware you will be driven mad by the beach boys, and the hotel staff aswell. (unfortunately) I think this is mainly do to with the poverty and to the Sri Lankan's we all seem so wealthy.

If I can help anymore, please let me know.

Regards,

Julie

Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations