We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

We will be staying in Bentota the first leg of our trip. From Bentota we want to travel by train to Kandy, then later to Nuwara Eliya (Nanu Oya). Finally back to Colombo for departure.

After visiting the railway time schedule web site, confusion has set in. We would want to travel by express if avalible 2nd class or better. Do we need reservation? If so how do we make them? Is there a better source for time tables?

Any help with the Trains we be very helpful.

Thanks

Steve

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Hi Steve,

There is a direct train from bentota railway station to Kandy around 3.30 pm everyday.It has 2nd class compartments as well.

Nishantha

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Hi again Steve,

No the timetable quality in Lanka is not that good, and so is their timeliness itself ;-)

Usually you have separate train to Colombo Fort from Bentota and then another to Kandy, but as Nishanta rightly says once-twice a day there is a direct one. No reservation possible in these trains, only the ICE Colombo-Kandy allows reservations.

As for other question, clockwise/counterclock: not a major difference in complexity. But starting with the train parts and only later the taxi parts has some advantages, agree.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Sort it out when you get there we travelled from Galle to Bentota for 50p or it might have been each

The ony booking I have heard is necessary is theobservation car Kandy to Ella

Madison Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Nishantha,Eric, Chris

Thank you for the quick response.

I take it that system is laid back/relaxed with no need for rservations. I suppose we are as you imagine a bit nervous about such a trip, nervous because we are going exaclty half way around the world from our home.

The train schedule web site we have been looking at is:http://www.scienceland.lk/railway/timetb.htm

Should we do it like this.. Fly in to colombo and Relax, get a cab to Bentota and relax, one day there get a tuk tuk and go to the train station and relax, get a train schedule and relax some more, pack up get on the train to kandy and relax once again? No need to pre book much of anything except the flight to and from Sri Lanka?

I think we have it now.

Thank You

Steve

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Hi Steve,

Sounds well! The scienceland schedule shows a train leaving Galle at 14:45, so I guess that's Bentota around 15:45 or 16 H. But better check locally - most Bentota hotels are walking distance from the station.

No need to prebook Kandy acco unless you are on a weekend, then it's sometimes a bit full with locals.

Have a wonderful journey,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Hi,

My train timetable is independant of the sciencelanka site. It's one that I picked up in Lanka .

It shows the train times leaving Galle to Colombo as being,

1445 ( which ties in with the one Erik said,

If you were to catch the 1040 from Galle, thats roughly about 1140 ish from Bentota, that gets into Colombo at 1322.

That gives you time to wander out from the station, get some lunch and browse the Petta market..

( out of the station, across the overhead road bridge and turn right, the market runs all along the road for a long way).

Back to the station and the Kandy train leaves at 1525 getting into Kandy at 1800 .

This train from Colombo to Kandy also has the 1st class observation coach attached .. The 1st class usually needs pre-booking but if you ask at the ticket office, there may be seats available. ( I prefer 2nd class but not everyone does).

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Good addition, Rod...

BUT: the mentioned Colombo-Kandy train not only requires reservation for 1st class but also for 2nd class. This is the nature of the IC Express trains.

Reservation is basically only obtainable from the Colombo ticket office in person, so not easy if you're in Bentota. Unless on your cab way from airport to Bentota you first drop by at the station (it's more or less on the main route through town) to buy the reservations.

One other point, which I did not stress enough: most Galle-Colombo trains do NOT stop at Bentota itself though the 15-16 H one might do so. Check in Bentota, and if the chosen train does not stop simply take a tuktuk to 1500 meters north where one finds the Aluthgama station - served by all express trains.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

Hi,

I agree with you Erik, the thing to do is check it out on the ground.

However, I've caught trains and ridden 2nd class at various points all around the network and at most times of the day and never had to book second class.

In fact, my listing of times, which I bought back from Lanka states that the reservations can be made only in Fort railway station up to 10 days in advance of travel.

That may be the official line but I have bought 1st class reservations from Kandy station.

My list, also states that the only reservations available are for ,

1st class,

Sleeper berths in night trains.

seats in the observation car,

and seats in the air-con car on the northern line.

2nd class, & 3rd class,

sleeperettes on day and night trains.

Meaning the ordinary 2nd class is not bookable.

But, having said all that, when I plan on getting a train out there, unless it's a route and time that I know, such as the mid afternoon Colombo to Kandy, which is a regular, I always make a point of pre-checking.

As we all know with Sri Lanka , things change or if not changing, then rules are applied in different ways by different people.

As you said, better to make sure , before travelling, that the train you want is actually running and stopping where you want it to stop.

Rod.

9. Re: Train from Bentota to Kandy/ Confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 11:21