We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming in the sea or river

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
swimming in the sea or river

hi,

is it safe? is it nice and do we need swim shoes as in egypt?

debs

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming in the sea or river

To swim in the sea take advice re currents and tides.

Swimming in rivers is OK provided there are no crocodiles about again the locals will know where they hang out. I believe they do not like the rocky parts of rivers, they prefer a bit of sand along the edge presumably where prey come to drink the water.

Locals use the rivers a lot for washing laundry etc.

We went in the sea in Feb in Unawatunna Bentota and Negombo. The waves were strong but the swimming was great and the sea was so warm. Lots of fish in the sea in Unawatunna.

We also went in the river at Bentota, for a swim and near Kandy because we needed to get to the other side. Bentota near the mouth of the river so water was not very clear and not very clean. Near kandy the water was great cool clear and clean. Great seeing water monitors! (we only had milk monitors at school ut in SL there are land and water monitors too)

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming in the sea or river

Hi,

Better speak to the lifeguards of the hotel where you are staying before go for swimming.They are well aware of the area and the prevailing conditions.

Nishantha

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming in the sea or river

hi thanks i get the idea that the idylic picures of clear sea and fantastic beaches is just to look at not to use. what a shame.deborah

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming in the sea or river

I spoke to the Life Guard at Bentota and he told me that during the monsoon season swimming in the sea wasn't advisable as the currents were extremely strong.

When I was there in August I didn't see anybody swimming in the river but I did see some people water skiing.

5. Re: swimming in the sea or river

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations