We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hi, Im traveling to both Bentota and Hikkaduwa for two weeks start of Feb. I was wondering how much on average beer and food will be? We like sea food and all currys, also we always drink the local beer. And also are both these beaches good for snorkelling! Thanks Dylan + Vicky

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hikkaduwa is the beach for snorkeling Bentota No good as rough sea. beer is at around160 rs big bottle. Another beach worth looking at is Unawatuna for snorkeling.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hi,

Beer and food ?.. both vary an enormous amount mainly depending on where you drink and eat it .

Beer,, Lion Lager from about 170 rupees a pint, .. Thats in some guest houses , budget hotels and some local bars.

As you go up through the star rating of the hotel,s in my experience, it gets progressively dearer. Maybe as high as 400 rupees or more.

Food, in a little local cafe, and by food, I mean local food. Spicey pastries, rice and curry, etc,, You can get a plate of short eats,, ," spicey pastries with various fillings,", plus a soft drink, ,, enough for a good lunch for about 100 rupees.

A lunch time rice and curry in the same place will cost you about 160 rupees, slightly less than a pound.

If you buy the same rice and curry , probably not so good, in a tourist restaurant, prices will start at about 450 rupees upwards.

A fish based meal, maybe for "seer fish " or "tuna" etc .. in a touristy restaurant, start at about 500 rupees and go up from there.

Basically, don't be worried about going into the little, often Muslin run, cafes.. usually called Hotels, but theyb are not hotels as we know them.

In those, food is excellent and cheap although hygene standards are noty European standards, I've been using them for years and never , had any problem.

Snorkelling... I've not snorkelled Bentota but I don't think there's anything there to see except sand.

Hikkaduwa has lots of excellent spots to snorkel around the coral reef. Thats the beach nearest to the town centre.

Not so much for the coral which is still struggling to recover from the bleaching of a few years ago, but lots of variety of fish and also some big turtles to swim along with.

Rod.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hi Dylan + Vicky,

Re food - see my reply #2 in this thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k3…

I totally agree, Bentota is not for snorkeling. Not because of rough seas, but because all there is to see is a sandy sea bed.

Hans

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Like Rod, I have never had any problem with eating at the cheap local places, although I do pick and choose what I eat a bit.

I don't touch the jugs of water which are put on the table and tend to go for the roti or hopper shops where the food is being cooked to order. I would stay clear of the lunch packets which might have been sitting around in the heat for a while.

And if in any doubt, stick to some of the sweet snacks like the very tasty kimbula rolls (like a doughy croissant, covered in sugar) for example. As a Cornish girl, I was delighted to find a bakery in Kurunegala selling "Cornish Pastries" .. although the filling was of course very much more spicy than anything they'd sell here!

Sue

Antarctica
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hi,

If you are eating at the small restaurants ("hotels") look for one which is popular and busy, because in such a place food would not have been lying around for long. Go for ones which are outwardly pleasant and clean looking. Some of those shops smell bad, look really bad with appalling hygienic conditions. Never go to such a place. If they don't even make an attempt to keep the place clean then god knows how their food hygiene is! The ones just opposite bus stands are some of the worst places.

Didn't mean to put off anybody but just keep in mind that while most of these eateries are pretty good and dirt cheap there are some unsavory ones as well!

Bath UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

i thought i saw a forum reply that mentioned the "lagoon"/river at the rear of the Serendib etc was good for snorkelling. Is it?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

Hi,

Bentota river (often referred to as "lagoon" in this forum) is at the rear of Bentota Beach Hotel which is the neighbour hotel to Hotel Serendib.

Very few tourists snorkel from the garden of Bentota Beach Hotel and it's not good for snorkeling.

Hans

8. Re: Bentota & Hikkaduwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 08:17