We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Advise

North East
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Mosquito Advise

Can anyone advise me....

I am visiting Sri Lanka (approx 7 weeks time.. first time... and so looking forward to it) I am staying at the Bentota Beach Hotel and are not sure if i will need to take a mozzie net... or if the air conditioning will be sufficient to deter the 'little blighters' ! i have checked the hotel website but cannot see any info re this. I have repellent with 50% deet and also have the little plug in's with the little tablets, should this be sufficient ? Also can anyone advise me if i need to take Beach Towels or will the hotel supply these? i know luggage wil be limited and dont want to carry any bulky items if i can help it...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Advise

Don't worry, A/C plus an electric mossie mat and your DEET spray will be more than enough. Just make sure you cover up in the evenings when outside and apply the DEET spray to exposed skin.

Have not stayed at Bentota Beach but would imagine that beach towels are provided at this class of hotel.

Enjoy your trip.

David.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Advise

Pool towels are supplied by Bentota Beach Hotel, and they don't mind that you use them on the beach.

Hans

Bath UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Advise

Have not stayed at Bentota Beach but did stay April at Serendib...Mosquitoes/sandflies were a nightmare. (Hotel brilliant)

Hotel provided net and plug in zapper. We took Deet sprays, Jungle Formula and a plug in of our own. I wasn't too bad as i wore long trousers in the evenings but my wife was bitten all over. She rarely gets bitten.

Virtually everybody seemed affected...some were literally covered in bites and that may sound extreme but you asked for advice and im being honest..

Take as much spray as you can and use it liberally!

They say taking Garlic tablets before you leave helps as they dont like it in your blood..probably an old wives tale but who knows?

Having said all that bask in the beauty of the area, enjoy the food and walk along the beautiful beach...paradise.

Rossendale, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Advise

I have to admit that I don't know what a Mossie mat is ? Can you spell it out for me please.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,882 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Advise

May I just add that mosquito repellent during the day as well as night is necessary. Like Wombat I found the sandflies a nightmare and had a bad allergic reaction to them, it's taught me to put deet on my feet and ankles during the day and not to walk about without shoes on!

Having said that we had a fantastic holiday in Sri Lanka and would go back without hesitation

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Advise

A mossie mat is a little impregnated pad containing mossie repellent that fits into a small plug in device that heats the mat to release the chemicals. There is no real smell to these mats, unlike the coils which you have to burn. Most hotels provide them and leave the mats in the room for you to use or they put them on at turn down.

If they are not provided, both the mat and the device are readily and cheaply available locally.

David.

Rossendale, UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Advise

Thanks DM51. I had never come across the term mossie mat, but I know what you mean.

I react badly to mosquitos but try to stay in hotels where the ac almost manages to eliminate the problem. If I do get bitten I take an anti-histamine (over the counter brands are available to combat a reaction to pollen) to reduce the swelling.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Advise

Are mosquitos & sandflies a problem all year round, or only at certain times of the year. Stayed at the Kani Lanka last year, situated on a spit of land between the lagoon & sea & had no problems at all with the insects. The rooms were sprayed every evening & but spent most of my time outside.

Reviews for Club Bentota, Seredib & Bentota Beach Hotel have all mentioned this as being a problem.

9. Re: Mosquito Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations