We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi,

I am planning my honeymoon for April 2011, and wasnt sure what April will mean in terms of weather. As I am going on honeymoon, I want to go for sun/sand but also be in a location where I can do day trips to see some of the sights. So was thinking of going to the West coast (and was possibly looking at Taj Exotica (Vivante by Taj) in Bentota.

Could anyone advise me as to whether April would be a good time of year to go (or would I be hittting rainy season) and whether staying at e.g. the Taj would be a good idea.

Thank you so much

Bhav

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi Bhav,

Yes should still be okay, with the odd rainy day; intermonsoon is approaching then but generally still okay, May-June is the risky time.

See the reviews for Taj, we still love the hotel...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi,

First half of April has been better than the second half for the last 15 years. The late afternoon/evening or early morning showers usually set in just after Sinhalese New Year - 13-14th April.

Hans

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi guys,

Thank you both so much for your kind replies. Oh dear I am thinking of travelling there April 19 - 26th....that looks like it could hit rainy season which would put a 'dampner' on honeymoon preceedings.

Is the Taj in a convenient location to do some of the day excursions (e.g. elephant orphanage etc?)

Thank you so much for your advice; really appreciate it.

Bhav

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,064 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi again,

Don't worry too much, your time could have SOME unsettled days but definitely not the whole time (unlike the risk in e.g. June). And Hans mentioned even better than that, only rains starting late afternoon or finishing before breakfast.

Yes, Taj is convenient for a bunch of the excursions possible from the coast. See the 'top questions' on possible day trips from beach locations.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 15 November 2010, 10:56
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

The elephant orphanage is about 3.5 hours drive - each way - from Bentota, so it will be a very long day trip. Better stay overnight and include Kandy.

A feasible and relaxed day trip from Bentota could be a drive down the coast to Galle - including Hikkaduwa, mask museum in Ambalangoda and turtle hatchery in Kosgoda.

Hans

Beruwala,sri lanka
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi Bhav,

you can come over next year for HM in apriel..Do not worry about weather.

Not only Bentota But also Beruwala is nice too. we call for it As Golden Mile.

Thanks

SYD

darlington
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

Hi,

i go every April and you always get a lovely weather, there is rain at times it lasts for an hour not much more then back to the sunshine.

i have stayed at the Taj, i now go to the wunderbar that is about 300-400m along the beach from the Taj. i am going for sri lankan new year in april.. 14th and 15th so i may see you there. if you would like to see my holiday pics add me on facebook my name is anthea russell

8. Re: Honeymoon to Sri Lanka - April 2011: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2011, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations