We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Which Bentota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Am staying at Bentota Beach Hotel in July, my onward flight leaves colombo airport at 11.20am.How long will it take to get to the airport?-I am assuming that I will get stuck in the 'rush hour' which I hear is horrendous. I have heard various reports of the time it takes from one and a half hours to 4 hours.Advice please.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,118 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Hi there,

1.5 hours seems almost impossible. 4 hours is quite likely, so leave Bentota 6 AM to be airport 10 AM...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Hi,

I have done the Bentota (Aluthgama) - Airport stretch many times. Even at night time the drive takes about 2 hours.

For an 11:20 am flight you should be at the airport by 9:20 am. This time of the day the drive usually takes approx. 3 hours, so a 6 am departure from Bentota seems reasonable.

Hans

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Brilliant, thanks very much for your quick replies guys.I knew my travel agent was lying when they said 1.5 hours !

I have a morbid fear of missing my flight-it happened once and I never want it to happen again!!! (which it wont now I have your advice )

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Hi there....

Yes, simply not possible in 90 minutes at that time of day, you would be lucky to make it as far as Colombo let alone airport..

Yet another example of just how much travel agents know about Sri Lanka..., probably what they do know can be written on back of rather small postage stamp :-)

Regards

Dave

Edited: 16 February 2011, 15:56
leeds
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

I would aim to leave at 5.30, leave at 5.45 and expect to be there by 9.30

but that does not leave too much time for disasters

bentota is not a sensible last-night destination. anyone who does not like a long drive before a flight should be aiming to get to wadduwa minimum in my view.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Thats alright Davidreddot-I Intend to set off v early and just chill in the business class lounge for a while-I don't mind the long drive, just trying to plan my journey.Although I am toying with staying at the mt lavinia on the last night, but as I am only at the bentota beach for 3 nights after a tour it seems a lot of messing about.

Edited: 16 February 2011, 21:32
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Hi again....

If toying with the idea of staying at Mt Lavnia on last night, you still have to tackle the rush hour traffic through Colombo, not an easy task !

Would be better to stay much closer to aiport, maybe Airport Garden for instance, only a few minutes in free shuttle from there...

And, business class lounge (Serendib, for SriLankan Airlines) is a nice place to unwind and relax at airport...

Regards

Dave

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that : )

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

Thanks everyone for their input, I have now swopped my last night to the Jetwing Beach hotel at Negombo which apparently is only approx 30 mins from the airport (just to be on the safe side)

10. Re: How long from Bentota Beach Hotel to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2012, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations