We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distance between colombo to bentota

Pune, India
1 post
Save Topic
distance between colombo to bentota

can i know the distance between colombo to bentota in km?

Edited: 25 December 2011, 13:28
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

Hi there,

Colombo centre to Bentota: 60 km

Colombo (Katunayake) airport to Bentota: 90 km

Average speed in Lanka is 30-40 km/h and that especially holds for dense city areas like Colombo, so yes it's a looooong drive to Bentota...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

Hi,

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

Depends on from exactly where in Colombo, but approx. 60 km is pretty close.

Hans

Edited: 25 December 2011, 13:35
Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

You can use the new Southern Expressway to Bentota. It will be 30 minutes from Kottawa (20km to Colombo). You will need to exit from the 4th interchange which is Velipanna.

Distance will be 46km from Kottawa.

rda.gov.lk/supported/expressways/stdp_photos…

Total time from Colombo to Bentota will be less than 2 hours if you use the highway.

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

Oh, and forgot the main question :)

Distance from Colombo fort (center) to Bentota will be about 61km in normal road. (3 hours+)

If you use the highway it will be about 76km (< 2 hours)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

It will be 30 minutes from Kottawa (20km to Colombo)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At what time of the day will you be able to drive from Colombo Centre to Kottawa in 30 minutes?

The saving (in time) by using the expressway will not be significant from Colombo to Bentota. For significant savings you will have to go to Hikkaduwa and beyond. The 10 km from Lewanduwa (Welipenna) to Aluthgama usually takes approx. 20-25 minutes.

Except for absolute peak hours you can travel from Colombo to Bentota in less than 2 hours by using A2 (Galle Road).

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

No, it will take about 1 hour from Colombo to Kottawa. You have not read properly.

Kottawa to Velipenna in 30 minutes.

Velipenna to Benthota you can keep 20 minutes. So total trip will be approx. 1 hour 50 minutes.

On a day in Galle road it can take even up to 3 hours. You can do in 2 hours if it's late night or early morning.

Were you in Sri Lanka recently? :)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

In rush hours Colombo to Kottawa can easily take 1.5 hours.

Even by bus it takes about 2 hours from Colombo Fort to Aluthgama during daytime. I and several friends often go by bus from Colombo mid to late afternoons.

If you are driving between 8 pm and 6 am it will take less than 1.5 hours.

I am in Sri Lanka at the moment and have been about 3 times a year for the past 10 years.

When did you last drive from Lewanduwa to Bentota?

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

Again as you may well know From Colombo to Panadura only it will take 1.5 hours in Galle Road during rush time. So, I'm not sure how you will do in 2 hours in bus :)

But I must say I have never used the bus from Fort to Aluthgama, so I cannot really comment if the bus would be faster than private vehicle with all the stopping they do every once in a while.

Last time I went was about 2 weeks back (11th Dec). From Gelanigama to Velipenna to Bentota. Also we used the highway to go to Unawatuna as well which was just 45 minutes on highway. I live in Panadura for last 30 years and we often drive down south.

Anyway I see you are a destination expert for Bentota, so the users may use your advice on it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

You speak from your experience. I speak from mine.

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: distance between colombo to bentota

Before I forget my fresh memories, went to Bentota a while ago and returned home just now. It took us 15 minutes from Gelanigama to Velipanna. Velipanna to Bentota it took us 20 minutes. The road close to interchange is good but bit damaged when getting closer to Galle Road. That's why it takes 20 minutes but it's just about 11km.

So, my timings mentioned above are accurate still.

i.e - Kottawa to Velipanna in 30 minutes. Kottawa to Bentota in 50 minutes.

Sorry pranav for all these confusions in answer to your question. But it is a good learning in comparing these 2 routes.

Cheers

Tharindu

Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations