We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pinawela elephant orphange

sunderland, uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
pinawela elephant orphange

I'm travelling to Sri Lanka in October and planning excursions. Love animals/wildlife and thinking of visiting elephants. Have heard conflicting views, some saying it is not well ran, elephants not looked after properly, all about making money now etc. Others have said lovely experience. Has anyone been recently? What is your experience? I don't want to end up feeling upset by ill treatment of animals!!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: pinawela elephant orphange

Thank you for posting this Shawn. That is another shocking example of what goes on there.

I cannot understand why some people try to defend this business. My visit and report was more than a year after the Born Free report. Nothing has changed.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: pinawela elephant orphange

Alex,

i think its only because they have no idea whats going on.

i have to confess, i had no idea either, intact, in some of the old topics few years ago, i would proudly post my video of Pinnawala and encourage everyone to go see, and then someone in sri lanka sent me a few articles on the management and the cruelty that was going in there... after speaking to a few people i realized it was all true, i never went to pinnawala again

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: pinawela elephant orphange

Hi all,

It is really sad to read of the mistreatment of these beautiful animals. Can anyone tell me if the Millenium Elephant Foundation up the road from Pinawela treat there elephants better? We are going to Sri lanka in September and i would like to visit the elephants but not if they are being mistreated. We are visiting Udawalawe during our trip so i wonder wether we should just wait till then to see the elephants?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: pinawela elephant orphange

MEF has a better reputation, so might make more sense. Also closer contact with the animals - but if you like to see groups less 'spectacular' as it only has a few jumbos.

Seeing them in the wild, and in UW you may be lucky to see large herds, beats all for us.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

25. Re: pinawela elephant orphange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations