We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Hi

I am visiting Club Bentota in January and would like to take a rod and reel to do some fishing, has anybody fished from the beach or in the lagoon there? What fish are there? What are the best techniques?

Also going to book a days deep sea fishing, and recommendations on who do to this through?

Thanks

Mark.

Mentioned in this post
Club Bentota
Club Bentota
872 Reviews
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
somerset uk
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Mark

I have fished off other beaches along that bit of coast but not Bentota. Have also fished the lagoon. Like you I always pack a rod etc. Not caught anything in the lagoon altho' the locals said it was good. We were at the Bentota Beach and I tried by their floating restaurant. Have caught a few things off the beach but not a lot. I used a float and suspended bait near the bottom in the lagoon and an end weight and boom with trace off the beach - no need to cast out far as the sea gets deep pretty quickly. I usually persuade a local restaurant to give me some prawns or calamari for bait in exchange for whatever I catch - I get the better deal. Locals say there is no point trying if the sea is the slightest bit rough although in the UK I find a bit of movement stirring up the bottom tends to improve matters.

I have been out on a boat a few times - without much luck. It has been with local fishermen rather than professional hire boats. Don't expect it to be cheap! I don't thnk there is anywhere in Bentota that does this - you may need to go up to Beruwala.

Tight lines

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Bentota
Bentota
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Bentota Beach
Bentota Beach
1,768 Reviews
Bentota, Sri Lanka
Beruwala
Beruwala
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Excellent thanks Richard. I was thinking of taking a lure rod and some lures, thought there might be some predator fish in both the lagoon and the sea? Maybe I will rethink that and take some leads and traces?

If the deep sea fishing is too expensive I will give it a miss as I am on a budget.

Thanks again!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Not a fisherman myself but my son is. He's not around for me to ask the ins and outs but i know he loves fishing both in the lagoon and the sea. He has pulled out some huge fish although cant tell you what they are. Certainly for the lagoon i know he has always used live prawns (ask any tuk tuk driver and they know where to get these) or chicken. Just outside club bentota on the beach to the right there is some rocks which he has fished off. Most of his fishing was in the lagoon. He has done quite a few fishing trips which were cheap compared to Europe. He has done night fishing trips and early morning trips. If i see him i will ask some details for you. He will know exactly what you should be taking.

Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Oh thanks so much, this information will be invaluable, really appreciate your time, thanks again, Mark

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Ok, so , according to my son the best fishing is in the lagoon. The best bait to use is live prawns. There are definately predators which he says come in the lagoon when the tide comes into the river from the sea. Good fishing time is evening. Says you can also try with lures.He told me the names of some fish but sorry i can only remember barracuda. Happy fishing !! Any thing else you want to know .. just ask.

Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Aaaaah fabulous, that sounds really exciting. I will pack some lures and traces, can't wait to get there now. Please thank your son for me!!

Best wishes

Mark.

Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

If you recall the names of the other species....mangrove Jacks? Barramundi? I would be interested to know, thanks again!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

YES!!! I remember Barramundi .....

Harwich, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

Ha ha fabulous!!!!

That's brilliant thanks so much!!!!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Bentota - Fishing from the beach or in the lagoon?

How did you get on with the fishing?. Will be doing the same in march 2013