We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bentota Beach

east Yorks
7 posts
Save Topic
Bentota Beach

Hi

I am planning on getting married in Sri Lanka early 2008 and have seen an amazing wedding package at Bentota beach hotel. What worries me though is that there is a railway line running behind the hotel. Can anyone who has stayed there let me know if this is a problem?

Emma

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,516 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bentota Beach

Hi Emma,

We stayed next door at Serendib, and plan to stay in March on other next door side which is Taj.

It depends. At night there is not much traffic on the line, and it goes quite slow anyhow (10 km/h) at that point because it is close to the old river bridge. So it did not disturb us at all, and we are at times 'light' sleepers.

More broadly: the problem with the railway holds for at least 50% of all coast resorts in Lanka southwest, simply because it _is_ the coastal railway. A few areas where some resorts are a lot further away from it are Kalutara, Beruwela and in Bentota the Ceysands.

At your service,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bentota Beach

Hi Emma

I would agree with Erik here, yes, the railway does run a few metres from the Bentota Beach Hotel, but due to the nearby bridge construction they do not run fast thru there, so noise should not be a problem.

Maybe the worst you will hear is the occasional whistle to warn workers away from the tracks.

This railway runs all the way down the west coast, and therefore past most tourist hotels/resorts along the way.

One day they MAY get to finish these bridges, to my knowledge they have been working on them since 1997!, when i was there back in November, the traffic delays were horrendous! , half hour wait either direction.

Regards

Dave

PS

Bentota Beach may well have a new name by the time you go there, it is to be called Cinnamon Beach!, after refurbishment.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bentota Beach

Hi Emma,

We stayed a week at the Bentota Beach (now Cinammon ) just before the tsunami.

Really good hotel - we liked it a lot. Didn't really notice the Railway and certainly very little noise.

We also witnessed a European Wedding whilst were there and I have to say it was very impressive - much better arrangements than some of the weddings we have seen at other Sri Lankan hotels (we have seen a lot over the years).

They used to have a really nice outside pavillion next to the river (the hotel has the ocean and river on different sides) where they can arrange a reception. They can also arrange a romantic candle light dinner in the quiet part of the gardens away from hotel and pool.

I believe the hotel have been refurbished recently (it was very good anyway), but they used to have two types of rooms at different rates - standard and superior. If you book make sure you get the latter or better still a bridal suite at the same price.

The only slight downside about the area is that ocean can occasonally get a slight brown tinge as the bentota river empties into the ocean about 1 mile away. Not a great problem but you won't get a sky blue sea!

Food at the hotel was fantastic.

Recommended.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bentota Beach

Emma Ken

For your info

Bentota Beach (Cinnamon Beach) NOT yet refurbished, is due in May this year, last years work was postponed at last minute

Regards

Dave

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bentota Beach

we stayed there 2 years ago and the railway line is not a problem you can hardly hear it. bentota beach is a great hotel, has its own elephant. we stayed at the heritance ahungalla (the old triton) on our first trip to sri lanka and saw a wedding there which was fantastic. just make sure your wedding dress is not so tight taht you can't climb on to the elephant!! the dancers and drummers are fantastic and their costumes are super. there is a great tailors shop across from the hotel called Aida where you can get fantastic clothes made. they also have a great jewellers. have a great wedding - it is certainly different to ours.the weather when we were there over the christmas period was great, nice and hot. if i can help you with anything let me know and i will try. pam

6. Re: Bentota Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 08:28
Get answers to your questions about Bentota
Recent Conversations