We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Villa, Unawatuna

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Villa, Unawatuna

Has anyone ever stopped at The Villa Hotel in Unawatuna ?http://www.villa-unawatuna.com/

I've booked to stay there in December and would love to hear a review of the place, cheers.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Villa, Unawatuna

Hi there,

I pass by twice a year (on foot) because of staying at a friend's guesthouse nearby. So can't comment on the inside.

It does look to be well-maintained, also from the specs on their website, but has no pool. As U'tuna beach is lovely and a nice bay (365 years swimming) but with quite a narrow beach strip, a pool would really be helpful for the more expensive accomodations there. Some more top-end guesthouses do have one, just like the two real hotels there (Unawatuna Beach Resort and Neptune Bay) - but you can always decide to use their pool for a reasonable price (usually around 1 pound) on some days.

Beach Road can be a bit busy in the evening because of party people but has no serious car traffic. Also the rooms of the place look to be far enough from the road.

At your service,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Villa, Unawatuna

Many thanks for that Eric, much apreciated.

On a seperate note, can you recommend some nice restaurants / bars / beach bars in Unawatuna ?

Any advice about Unawatuna would be very useful.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Villa, Unawatuna

Hi again,

There are a few nice looking bars / beach places on the west side of the beach, close to the junction to the inland road. Never went inside as I always eat at the veggie restaurant of my friends; now even they have two next to each other, near where Welledewala Road hits the beach. Lovely tasty food, western and eastern, in both South Ceylon and Zimmer restaurants!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bombay
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The Villa, Unawatuna

Hello. In response to your query about The Villa-- I returned today from Sri Lanka where I stayed at The Villa. My experience was nightmarish as the check-in was unpleasant (first they'd lost a reservation I'd made in October). Second, they tried to put me in their other hotel, which was 5x the price. Third, once they did "find" a room, the towels were clearly dirty and I left with bed bugs. I would never recommend this hotel. There are several other nice places around Unawatuna and the beach is beautiful, so don't ruin your experience in Sri Lanka by booking here! Hope this helps.

5. Re: The Villa, Unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Galle
Recent Conversations