We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is going by Train safe?

bangkok
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is going by Train safe?

I'm not canceling my August trip to Sri Lanka...and orginally plan to take a train to Hikkaduwa...the explosion on the public trains a few week ago is making me think twice...and rather take a cab. How safe is train travel and where did the explosion on the train take place in the suburb of colombo?

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is going by Train safe?

HI,

No one can say anything is absolutely safe and the general concensus is to stay away from all forms of public transport.

I was there a few weeks ago and travelled by trains and buses as I always do. Trains are the most convenient way of travel and the chances of getting involved in anything is extremely remote.

If I was in Lanka right now, I'd be using the trains but there is aways that remote chance.

Rod.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Hi there,

I'd say avoid the trains in/near Colombo if you want to stay on the safe side. Bombs have invariably been in that region. Hill country trains, still lovely for tourists, I'd recommend - and coastal south of Panadura too but that does not make much sense anymore for transport from Colombo then. Car with driver is safest - and intercity express bus also quite safe as these have strict security checks (but strongly limited as for luggage, more for backpackers).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

london
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is going by Train safe?

I just got back from there and did not feel safe at all.. All the money in the world could not pay me enough to go back there... I will never step foot in that country again, dirty, filthy, all eyes are on you especially if you are an American...

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is going by Train safe?

ZAVVII

i was surprised about your comments and if Honest a little bit hurt.

Sri Lanka is as we know, unlike Western Countrys, not so developed, and is still, despite what some People think, still getting over and coming to terms with the Tidal Wave that hit it.

I have never felt scared whilst in the Country and any mess well that can be found everywhere YES ?

As for all Eyes on One, never been a problem, are not People just curious and want to look at Tourist ?

Me being covered in Tattoos raises more than a passing look, and i am only too happy to show, sometimes hidden Tattos.

We are back again in less than 15 Weeks and i for One cannot wait. Anybody wanting to visit a Brilliant place known as the Jewel in the Indian Ocean would not go far wrong picking Sri Lanka so do not let Zavvii reports put you off.

Best wishes

Billy

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Hi,

As of Erik & Rod both are experts in Sri Lanka, trains or any mode of public transport are not advisable at the moment and yes a car with a driver is the safest.

Nishantha

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Zavii

Is entitled to an opinion, but in my three week trip last year I never experienced any rudeness or being stared at. We frequently used the bus and train between Negombo and Colombo and the train to Galle.

On my next trip in 3 weeks time I will miss not using the buses and trains as that was part of the unique Sri Lankan experience.

Chris

Belgium, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Dear ZAVVII……..

location you have mentioedn in the forum london . do you think that your native country is100% safe? Do you think that your native country 100% clean ? there are no fully safe place in the world live.

Keeping mind fresh breath you having in sri lanka , you can’t have it in your own country.

Thanks you,

ind

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Like others who have replied to this post, Zavvii's comments have left me feeling annoyed and defensive of the Sri Lankan people and their wonderful country.

I have never felt threatened or unsafe in Sri Lanka and the people are some of the nicest I have ever met. They have strong family values which would put our country's to shame, and our family encountered humbling hospitality wherever we went, from complete strangers who will now remain lifelong friends. The predominantly Buddhist culture ensures the most gentle, kindly people you could ever wish to know.

Yes, you might encounter some rip-offs close to main resorts and tourist attractions, but isn't that the same anywhere? In Sri Lanka there are a lot of poor people and a few of them will see tourists as an easy way to make a few bucks, but it's no worse, and I'd say, considerably better in fact, than most such places.

Ten weeks and counting before we're back there again....

Sue

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Got to agree with all the positives about Sri Lanka that have been posted here.

My wife and I visited for the first time in May this year and have already booked for next year.

Never have we been to a Country and received such a welcome from the locals.

Many times we were thanked for visiting.

I Never felt at risk and we had a wonderful holiday.

Even the beach boys didnt really hassle us, in fact we built up a good relationship with them and they proved to be most helpful.

One thing that springs to mind is the fact that one tourist left her purse in the dining room, it contained about £300 in different currencies.

It was handed in to reception by a member of staff.

Commendable when you think they earn about £30 a month.

Lovely people, wonderful Country, can't wait until next year.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is going by Train safe?

Looking at the number of terrorist attacks it looks like the chances of being on a train that is bombed is pretty low. I never worried about the IRA when they were regularly setting off bombs in the UK. I suspect you've a much 'better' chance of being killed in a traffic accident than by any form of terrorist attack...

Get answers to your questions about Galle