We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones in SriLanka

norfolk
3 posts
Save Topic
Mobile Phones in SriLanka

Could any one tell me the cheapest way to call home from SriLanka by mobile as I will have to regularly check that everyone is fine at home.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones in SriLanka

If your mobile is SIM unlocked and at least dual band you can buy a local SIM card. They cost LKR 500-600 (£2.50-3.00). I recommend Dialog as they have best coverage, but other companies are Mobitel, Tigo and Hutch.

Buy prepaid phone cards. They can be bought in values from LKR 100 up tp LKR 1000. They are quite easy to load, but the shopkeepers will always be helpful to you.

Calls to UK on a local SIM card cost around LKR 20/min.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones in SriLanka

The other option is when you are around Colombo enough of Internet cafes offers cheap internet calls to UK for 5-6 rupees a minute.

Nishantha

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones in SriLanka

"Communication centres" and internet cafes around the island also offers that facility.

"Communication centres" charge around LKR 25/min for "normal" calls to UK.

Hans

4. Re: Mobile Phones in SriLanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Galle