We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Galle to Colombo

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uk
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Galle to Colombo

Hi,

Can anyone advise on times of trains from Galle to Colombo?

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,589 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Hi there,

Yes. See www.railway.gov.lk. The site is a bit tricky, choose the right railway line (Colombo-Matara) first, but in the end you get to understand it.

One word of warning: the train arrives about 25-30 mins before departure at Galle, because the loc has to change direction. This means that seats run out at THAT time and not shortly before departure time. So either be early or even use the trick of jumping on board shortly before Galle, e.g. Unawatuna.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Hi,

According to my time table,,

depart Galle Arrive Colombo

09:00 13:12

10:55 13:20

13:45 16:34

14:30 17;13

15:45 18:37

Thats according to the timke table that I have but it's always best to check locally as well.

Sometime , while you're in Galle, just look in the station, it's close to the old fort and cricket ground, and look at the chalk board in the entrance.

The apparent discrepency between travel times is the difference between the express and local.

Rod.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Hi,

Agree with the above posters. Better to check from the station itself. I would like to mention that there are some trains that start from Galle itself. For these too the earlier you arrive the better.

In addition to the list Rod mentioned there are 5 or 6 trains (office trains) leaving galle before 9am.

Thanks

nahe Wien
Level Contributor
71 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

I asked at the Railway station in Hikkaduwa yesterday about a train trip to Colombo. I was rold that somewhere between Hikkaduwa and Colombo a bridge is under repair so one has to take a tuktuk from one station before the bridge to one after the bridge. Don't know how long this will last ...

FYI, regards,

Robert

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Well, that sounds interesting.

How many people are there on a crowded commuter train and how many tuk tuk,s would that take to ferry them around a damaged bridge.

Makes the bus seem like a good alternative.

Rod.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

The bentota(aluthgama) bridge is undergoing some repairs from 31st july. Currently the trains from colombo run only until aluthgama. In the news it said it will be reopened from tomorrow.

Yorkshire
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Hi - does anyone know if this has reopened please? We were planning to get this train on Aug 27th :)

Best wishes :)

Antarctica
Level Contributor
500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Ye it has

9. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Galle
Recent Conversations