We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Galle in August

Which Galle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in Galle in August

Having been told that August is one of the drier months in Galle, I am now getting mixed messages: one website suggested hot, dry weather, another that black clouds and wall-to-wall rain would be more likely.

We are visiting for two weeks starting 2nd week August.

Any advice [eg things to take/buy] regarding the weather would be most helpful.

Paul

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Hi,

The usual weather in August is bright and sunny mornings, some cloud build up during the afternoon and on some days late afternoon/evening showers.

Hans

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Thanks Hans. That's what we imagined. P

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Hi there....

Yep, should be reasonable weather down in Galle August time, last few times i was around that area i hardly saw any rain daytimes, but there was overnight, so no real problem i think...

Regards

Dave

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Galle in August

What about September? We are looking to go somewhere for two weeks, and have a 3 week slot from 9th Sept. Can anyone advise?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Hi there....

September also similar to August, BUT!! will tend to get more unsettled towards end of that month as the inter-monsoon season settles in.

Still every chance of good sunny and hot days, but will see more in more of rainy stuff...

So, earlier in September you can go, the more chance of settled weather..

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Hi,

I spent all September in Sri Lanka last year. The weather was amazingly good with only a few showers - mainly very early mornings and late afternoons/evenings.

I went to 4 day/night cricket matches and none were disturbed by rain.

Hans

Edited: 25 July 2010, 15:07
London
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Galle in August

We have the same problem as above, looking to stay somewhere last 2 weeks of Sept but not sure where to go. Really fancy Lanka but not if it is going to rain every day. Please can someone advise?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Galle in August

It'll probably rain every day but SOLELY after 3-4 PM, with a few exceptions. On the southwest coast that is. If you want a guarantee for dawn-to-dusk sun and snorkel/sea swim then, head for Nilaveli on east coast. BUT it's 7 hours from airport while the good places on southwest start at 3-4 hours from airport, and there's not much entertainment/eating yet outside the (in themselves good, between 2 and 5 star) Nilaveli hotels.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Galle in August

How long does this other monsoon last?

Thanks for responses, but we probably won't go there this September.

We went in March a few years ago and it rained late afternoons/evenings most days, but lovely weather for the best part of the day.

We are still planning to go, and need to do some research to find the right place and time.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,579 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in Galle in August

Hmmm... difficult question

"How long does this other monsoon last?"

The only more or less sunsafe period, dawn-dusk, in the southwest area is Mid Dec to early March. All other months have west monsoon or intermonsoon seasons.

The dawn-dusk sunsafe period on the east coast is May-October.

South coast, east of Galle/Unuwatuna upto Yala, is always kind of special; esp. Tangalle-Hambantota-Yala is called the 'dry zone' and only has some rainfall November-March. However during the other months the sea can still be influenced by the monsoon currents, swimming then is safe behind reefs only so east coast is still best in our summer.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Get answers to your questions about Galle
Recent Conversations